• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help needed - Ar240 will not fire. Fuel pump low voltage

rand01tj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Of course things love to go wrong when you’re on vacation... Looking for a little help here. 2012 AR240. Having issue getting fuel to the port engine. Only getting 10.5v to the fuel pump connector at the pump when I turn it over. I am getting 12.5 volts at all the fuses on the fuse panel. have tried:

1) checking/replacing all fuses and cleaning all fuse contacts
2) swapping ECU's
3) swapping cleanout hatch sensors
4) swapping both relays to the other engine
5) checking just about every connector in the engine bay.

if I plug in the fuel power connector from the other (starboard) engine to that fuel pump and use it to power the pump by occasionally bumping the (starboard) engine it will run so I know it is not the pump itself.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. The family is very let down and I would love to be able to salvage the rest of the trip.

does anybody have a copy of a wiring schematic? I found one for a 2015 but it didn’t seem to be the same.

Pedro dejesus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Of course things love to go wrong when you’re on vacation... Looking for a little help here. 2012 AR240. Having issue getting fuel to the port engine. Only getting 10.5v to the fuel pump connector at the pump when I turn it over. I am getting 12.5 volts at all the fuses on the fuse panel. have tried:

2) swapping ECU's

if I plug in the fuel power connector from the other (starboard) engine to that fuel pump and use it to power the pump by occasionally bumping the (starboard) engine it will run so I know it is not the pump itself.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. The family is very let down and I would love to be able to salvage the rest of the trip.

does anybody have a copy of a wiring schematic? I found one for a 2015 but it didn’t seem to be the same.

2) swapping ECU's

Were you able to figure it out. I am having the same issue

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Same thing with me right now

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As an Electrician, I see low voltage issues all the time. If you have 12volts at the source (battery) and 10 at your connector than there is a 100% chance you have a bad connection in that circuit. Either on the ground or the hot but most likely the ground. Best way to check is run your meter from connector positive straight to the battery negative post and same method from connector negative to battery positive post. This will tell you which wire/connection is bad. You should see full voltage when reading this way.

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As an Electrician, I see low voltage issues all the time. If you have 12volts at the source (battery) and 10 at your connector than there is a 100% chance you have a bad connection in that circuit. Either on the ground or the hot but most likely the ground. Best way to check is run your meter from connector positive straight to the battery negative post and same method from connector negative to battery positive post. This will tell you which wire/connection is bad. You should see full voltage when reading this way.
Thank you! I checked but then what is my next step? Trying to change out wiring harness? It is the ground that is causing the issue.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Had the same problem on our 06 SX230 that turned out to be a bad ground. On our 06 there is a main ground cable at the rear of the engine and there was also what looked like a blanked off connector at the rear of the engine taped to the wiring harness between the electrical box and the engine. This is actually a junction for all the grounds,

Last edited:

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you! I checked but then what is my next step? Trying to change out wiring harness? It is the ground that is causing the issue.
You could try running a temporary ground from battery to fuel pump connector and if that solves the problem then I would trace back and find where the ground is junctioned

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
it is the ground. Should I check to see if it is in this harness correct first? If so do you know how I remove wire? Photos attached.
I have also traced it back to find where the ground is junctioned, but same thing there I assume… I need to remove ground and make sure it is properly in harness?

Attachments

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Kaiser211 you need to inspect both ends for corrosion. Or it could have been a nick in the wire in the harness. You should find something that looks corroded. Copper turns green when heavily oxidized.

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok I’ll check that but I’m not sure how to get the wire out to check it fully

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also thank all for the help. Looking forward to getting this engine running again!

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well it starts! Good news but not sure I have it solved perfectly. The ground was the issue and in the connection showed I tired to remove the ground wire by pushing up at yellow arrow but was unsuccessful. I checked the other end of wire for corrosion but didn’t see any when I pulled that off. I tried again to get connection off in yellow arrow and pushed around enough that I may have made it tighter. At the end when I put it all together it turned on. Not 100% what pet did it but I would like to fix that connection if I knew how… I still will mess with it. Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

Attachments

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok my Starboard engine has started up fine now and hopefully the connection issue with the ground stays solved. My Port side now gives me an issue that is different but similar. When I turn the key it does even try to start - turn it a few times and only thing that turns on is the dash. If I have the starboard turned on then maybe the 3rd time it fires up as normal and good to go. Also if I am running it and turn it off it is hit or miss - sometimes starts right up if I again start the starboard first but sometimes on 2-3 time. Any thoughts on it?

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok my Starboard engine has started up fine now and hopefully the connection issue with the ground stays solved. My Port side now gives me an issue that is different but similar. When I turn the key it does even try to start - turn it a few times and only thing that turns on is the dash. If I have the starboard turned on then maybe the 3rd time it fires up as normal and good to go. Also if I am running it and turn it off it is hit or miss - sometimes starts right up if I again start the starboard first but sometimes on 2-3 time. Any thoughts on it?
My guess is you possibly have another not so good connection somewhere and when your other engine is running it is giving a slightly Higher voltage which is enough to push through the weak connection. This time I would check the big connections, such as battery terminals, starter, and starter solenoid. Make sure they are both clean and tight. Hope this helps!

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My guess is you possibly have another not so good connection somewhere and when your other engine is running it is giving a slightly Higher voltage which is enough to push through the weak connection. This time I would check the big connections, such as battery terminals, starter, and starter solenoid. Make sure they are both clean and tight. Hope this helps!
Update on this - potentially the starter relay - I pulled it out but I want to test it? I read you can make the connection but I’m not sure what to put together. Any thoughts? When I turn the key most times it just clicks… sometimes will start.

Attachments

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update on this - potentially the starter relay - I pulled it out but I want to test it? I read you can make the connection but I’m not sure what to put together. Any thoughts? When I turn the key most times it just clicks… sometimes will start.
I would have your starting battery tested. If that checks out good and all your connections are good then replace solenoid (it's next cheapest thing to do). If it still does it, then replace the starter. It's kinda hard to bench test the solenoid unless you can really load it up, like cranking an engine. It might actually just fine with no load on it. Hope this helps
Tony

frogui

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am having the same issue and I have verified it is the ground. I cannot find where the ground is for the wire going to the fuel pump. It just seems to go into the general wiring harness and then gets lost into oblivion. Can someone pinpoint where the ground is on the engine?

Thank you in advance!!!

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am having the same issue and I have verified it is the ground. I cannot find where the ground is for the wire going to the fuel pump. It just seems to go into the general wiring harness and then gets lost into oblivion. Can someone pinpoint where the ground is on the engine?

Thank you in advance!!!
I needed to do the same thing and instead of messing with the entire harness I spliced the current ground wire from the fuel pump and connected it to a new wire that I ran to the ground on the engine. Worked perfectly.

frogui

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found it, they are connected through connectors. I unplugged them and plugged them back... started right up... I think the trailer ride is what does it because it seems to happen on vacation...lol