• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help Picking a Used Boat

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hi,

I'm looking for a used boat 18 to 20ft that is fast, comfortable, and has a windshield. I want the boat for cruising and getting on the water. I want an outboard or stern drive engine. I had a jetboat and low speed handling, even with a Cobra Jet, was miserable. Also, outboards are quieter, use less gas and make a lot less noise. I wanted to spend around 26k used. Any suggestions would be helpful. I had a Yamaha 195S. I loved the storage, looks and power. I hated the low speed handling and how easy it was to get debris caught in the prop area.

Thanks in advance

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Being this is a jet boat forum I’d guess most are partial to the jet drives. I don’t have my jet anymore but still like the forum and some days miss my Yamaha. With that being said a neighbor down the lagoon from me just got a Monterey 20 footer with a Mercury 200hp outboard. Very sharp looking boat. Not sure how fast but it has to move pretty good with that engine. I’d guess you would have to go a couple years old to be around 26k. In the couple seconds we chatted with him crushing by he said he loved it.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The maintenance on the stern drive is not easy to do yourself. Outboard is your best bet. I admit you gave us very little about what you are looking for.
--
18 to 20ft that is fast, comfortable, and has a windshield. I want the boat for cruising - $23K or less.
--

Why do you want to limit to 20ft? Storage Size? Towing? Price? Trailer Axle count? I'd suggest bumping that to 21 or 22ft max unless you are constrained by something so you can see more options.

one gem I was not aware of until I stumbled upon it, is SearchTempest.com where you can search CraigsList in multiple cities. I'm also hearing many sales moving to facebook marketplace.

4 Cycle outboards (The kind you want, so you don't have to deal with carbs and 2 stroke oil) have been around some, but not forever, so search on price and features, and then research a few engines and layouts. Once you hone in on what you want, it's easier to search and compare.

Best of Luck!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tri-toon with a 150hp is the "do all the things" on the water. Except maybe fast.

ididntdoit

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I assume by windshield you mean full windshield, not like a center console - Search for "dual console" or bowrider boats - in that size range with the current market you should be able to get something 5-10 years old - I just bought a 2015 20' cc for 24k

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good luck finding that for under 26K tho
In pre-COVID boat dollars it's possible used. No idea if it's possible in Post COVID used boat dollars though.

Neighbor has a 24ft that was $35k new in '18. Would think some of them have snuck down into the high $20k range. I haven't looked though.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
In pre-COVID boat dollars it's possible used. No idea if it's possible in Post COVID used boat dollars though.

Neighbor has a 24ft that was $35k new in '18. Would think some of them have snuck down into the high $20k range. I haven't looked though.
I traded my 2013 in last year for 26K, granted it was 27 foot, but not a tri toon and had yam 115 on it. They sold it in a day ....lol

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I traded my 2013 in last year for 26K, granted it was 27 foot, but not a tri toon and had yam 115 on it. They sold it in a day ....lol
WOW......this boat market is silly. I can see where Pontoons are in super high demand too, they're like the minivan of the water. They do everything pretty well except look cool :D

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
WOW......this boat market is silly. I can see where Pontoons are in super high demand too, they're like the minivan of the water. They do everything pretty well except look cool :D
Ya it was slow as balls due to being so big. Would only do 20 wether you had just yourself or 14 people on it. It was a SanPan bar edition, had plush leather seats, corion bar, slamming factory system,etc . It was fucking sweet but to damn big to trailer or I would have kept it. Had it in a slip on Geist Reservoir which is way overcrowded and dirty and got offered 7500 for my slip (I owned the slip, didn't rent it) and took it since I was sick of the lake anyway. Plus every Yamaha we saw I always said man I want one of those....lol

Attachments

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Crob83 No doubt Pontoons are where it's at for party time. SOOOOOO much space available, especially when setup for a bar/party type layout. Neighbhor has a Berkshire 24ft Tri-Toon with a 150hp on it. Thing runs 35mph regardless of loading, it's really like a tractor that way. I've seen him with 10 people and like 6-7 coolers and it handles and drives just the same. It is a pain to tow though. So much so that we're going to the coast this summer without them. After we went to a TN lake two summers ago and it sucked his mileage down to 9-ish he doesn't want to road trip with it. Now it lives at camp near Patoka. 2.5mi from the campsite to the ramp and back is all the more it travels.

We looked had at getting a toon when we bought our Yamaha. If we could have fit it in the garage we would've done it I think. It's really really hard to pass on the versatility and space.

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sold my 1989 Chaparral 2100SX earlier this year in order to find myself the 2016 AR240. Man, do I feel lucky I hit the market just before it went crazy. I put a lot of work in to that Chappy to keep it looking and performing beautifully, but was getting tired of the time and effort. I kind of miss it, but when I think about the versatility of the Yamaha I keep coming back to that being a good decision.

My good friends in Havasu have a JC Tritoon with a 350HP Evinrude. Luxury and speed. But way out of my price range. And we are liking the surfing so far also, which you can't do behind a outboard or a stern drive.

ididntdoit

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The 'toon stories bring back good memories from the 80s at log bay in lake george - one guy had a home made 2 level one covered in astro turf with no motor - got towed over - it had an "at home" stereo and speakers/generator and a gas grill and plenty of coolers - at the time I had a 1964 16' Rayson Craft with a 427 L88 BBC - we would tie up off it - it was a non stop party/dance floor - for those that dont know the place, google "log bay day" for pics.....

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 'toon stories bring back good memories from the 80s at log bay in lake george - one guy had a home made 2 level one covered in astro turf with no motor - got towed over - it had an "at home" stereo and speakers/generator and a gas grill and plenty of coolers - at the time I had a 1964 16' Rayson Craft with a 427 L88 BBC - we would tie up off it - it was a non stop party/dance floor - for those that dont know the place, google "log bay day" for pics.....
I'll see your "Log Bay Day" and raise you a "Harmon Creek - Lake Cumberland Poker Run" :D :D

ididntdoit

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'll see your "Log Bay Day" and raise you a "Harmon Creek - Lake Cumberland Poker Run" :D :D
Thats what boating is all about...

Heizen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
When buying a boat, you may need consider about size and weight. The size and weight of a boat both matter because both contribute to the resistance between the boat and the water. A heavier boat displaces more water, but the deeper water line also makes it more difficult for the boat to clear the waves of water along its hull, which is important to gaining faster boat speed.

Last edited: