• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help pls How can I determine hp in newly purchased boat?

newb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Hi,
thanks for your help. I recently purchased what was advertised as a 2015 Scarab 165 ID with 250 hp. Now that I have it here and am out on the water in it I do not think it is 250 hp. It tops out with just me in the boat at about 35 -40km hour. I was driving a 2018 at 300hp and it was much faster. Is there somewhere I can look that will identify the HP on the boat or somewhere I can look it up by serial number? It was a good price for a 250hp but not at all for a 150hp.
Thanks

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I've got the 150HP. I get about 42 MPH, not KPH. So 67 km/h. Do you mean 35-40 mph maybe? If so, that indeed sounds like the 150HP unless you've got some impeller or wear ring damage (or something else). Do you have a supercharger? Take a pic of the engine bay, good clear shot and that will help us. If the boat is out of the water, take a few CLEAR pictures through the intake grate under the boat. Make sure to have good lighting so we can see the edges of the impeller as well as the plastic wear ring around it. You can also take a pic through the jet nozzle at the stern looking inside. You should see the impeller and wear ring from that angle as well with good lighting.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Rotax has picture of their various power plants. You can compare yours to theirs.

Gozills

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
250 should have catalytic converter and external intercooler

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Can you post some pics of the engine? Get a shot of the very back if you can.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Bit late, but here's a pic of a 250HP Rotax with the identifiers circled. The intercooler is a bit hard to see in the pic, but it is a shiny aluminum box tucked behind the engine, with a big black hose attached at each side.
250HP rotax diagram.jpg

newb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Thanks to everyone! So much information before I even got the photos off my camera