• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help requested. Clean out plug blew, possibly made some mistakes

RBC3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I am going to start that hind sight is 20/20, and I am sitting here worried I might have made a few mistakes. Praying zero are serious. I have only owned the boat since late May.

Today I took my 2014 AR240 out with my extended family. My brother-n-law wanted to help with the clean out plug, so I was trying to show him how it worked. He struggled, so finally I installed. I tugged on it, and everything felt good. We launched, and had maybe gone 3 mins when my wife told me something looked weird on the swim deck. Engine felt fine, but I stopped to look. I opened up the hatch, and the starboard plug had ejected and wedged at the top of the tube. I put it back in, and everything seemed fine. We had just started, so I might have been over confident nothing happened. (I have already ordered the Cobra EZ Locks)

We traveled about 30 mins to our favorite swimming hole, and the motors fan great and everything seemed perfect. After we anchored, and the kids got in to swim, I went to drain some water from the ski locker and very hot water came flowing back into the ski locker area. Now the kids had already complained the lake water was hot today, but this water was seriously hot. I locked the plug back in, and just bailed out the water the old fashioned way. I quickly decided I needed to check the engine compartment, and found there was some standing water, but it wasn't what I would call serious. But the water was hot, so I decided to wait until we headed back and the bilge would get it.

About 2.5 hours later we started back to our marina, and my wife informed me the bilge was not spitting any thing out. I will honestly admit I haven't always watched the bilge compared to the pissers, so I don't know if this is something that happened recently or not. The motors ran great, and everything seemed fine. But there was water sitting in the engine bay area still, but it didn't look like any additional entered since the early day. When we got to the marina a storm was beginning to form, so I quickly covered everything and had them pull the boat for dry storage.

I came home and have been trying to figure out what I need to do first. I am thinking of heading back tomorrow with my battery powered transfer pump to suck out all the water. Then I need to figure out if the bilge is blocked/dirty or dead. What else should I be thinking? I started doing searches for these, but figured some people had already done this before and might have a quick link for me. Good links for: cleaning the bilge pipe? changing out the bilge if needed? I have been religious about pulling the plugs at the end of the day and turning the battery off, now I need a bilge ritual to do also!

osteodoc08

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Look for water coming from somewhere on a motor or exhaust. That will cause hot water to be in the boat. Flush and run and have a good look.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’d start by verifying that the hoses to the cooling spouts (pissers) are still connected at both ends. That is to the engine and spout. Hopefully the hose clamp came off at one end (or one hose developed a bad leak) and the clean out plug blowing was just a coincidence.

RBC3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the responses. I know both the pissers were flowing good, but I will check them again to be sure.