• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help!

krock

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I need help with this part! My engine on the left side of this picture overheated and the part failed! I need the part number and possibly somewhere that I can purchase. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Holy..... lol that's a first for me. That's the catalytic converter. Not cheap. Some bypass... but bypassing it isn't a trivial thing since lights/sensors have to be stopped via special hacks. Alternatively, you replace the cat properly... there are very specific torque patterns, install procedures to follow otherwise it will leak. Unless you absolutly know what you're doing, you should be getting a dealer to do this.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
To look up the part:

Rotax > Rotax JPS > Two letter code where 2014 is AA onward so AG for 2017 > Engine HP > Twin engine with cats starboard based on your pic.

Find the the catalytic converter diagram. (Catalyst Housing)

krock

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
and before replacing it, I would ask what caused it to heat up so much that it melted. if that issue is not addressed, then it will likely happen again to the the new CAT...
Thank you so much Luc! I was running the boat at the dock in very shallow muddy water...I was trying to charge up my batteries! I think that sediment got in!

krock

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Question where can I get the part? My mechanic is a jet ski guy so I am confident that he can replace it properly. If I am on the boat and looking toward the bow it is the right housing. If I am facing the engine bay it is the left. Again thank you so much for all of your help!

krock

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
and before replacing it, I would ask what caused it to heat up so much that it melted. if that issue is not addressed, then it will likely happen again to the the new CAT...
Thank you so much for your help!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Then it is starboard (right) when facing the front. I don't think there would be any difference in the parts in this case. Probably identical part numbers for both sides (but you can check that yourself in the part diagrams).

Cats don't really exist on Sea-Doos... not enough room. So you'll need to find someone who sells this. The best/easiest solution is indeed a Scarab dealer. I'm from Canada.... I know the New Orleans dealer is very popular and ship direct. I'd give them a try. But they are busy. Note that without removing the current parts, you'll be guessing what needs to be replaced. So I think your mechanic should be removing these parts to confirm what's damaged besides the housing. Nothing else? The resonator box? Follow the path of that exhaust system and check each part. If it got that hot in the cat, other parts could have been damaged/melted, especially any plastic.

You'll need to ensure it's clean of mud/sand in there and that water flows freely. For future reference, the engine should not be run in less than 3ft of water, especially idling in place. It creates a vortex underneath and sucks up everything.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I should add, if you do order from a Scarab dealer, have your boat HIN number ready. They will likely use that to look up the part to verify it fits.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Also, check with your mechanic that he knows the correct torque leves and patterns of that cat. That he has the latest info on that as well. There was a recall years ago on this specifically because of the incorrect torquing done by the manufacturer, causing leaks... and thus damaged things like O2 sensors. So this isn't a "just do it by feel" type of thing.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length