• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hot bearings on disc brake axle

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all, looking for some of that awesome advice. Brand new 2021 ar210 on dual axle shorelandr. I have put 350 miles on the trailer (truck keeps track). Rear axle has the disc brakes. Rear bearings get hot every time I go anywhere, too hot to keep your hand on it. There’s no discoloration on the hub. Fronts get what I would say is a normal warm.
I was due for the 10 hour service so I asked dealer to check it. They said nothing was dragging. But they didn’t take it out and replicate, but it looks like they added some grease, which hasn’t made a difference. They also bent the s**t out of one of my trailer guides and left my cover in a muddy puddle, it’s filthy and wet inside and out. So I’m not going back there for warranty service.

Trailer feels like it bounces a lot against the actuator. Larger bumps feel like I get a forward-back jolt. But in general it stops smoothly.

Anyway… it’s brand new. Is this normal? What would you do to troubleshoot at home? Any advice would be appreciated. Im thinking about putting in the surge lockout and driving for a bit (carefully) to see if locking out the brakes makes any difference.

Thanks!!

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get a laser temperature checker and check them after running, point laser right on hub, mine run anywhere from 110- 150 degrees depending on outside temperature and how much brake use I have been using.

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get a laser temperature checker and check them after running, point laser right on hub, mine run anywhere from 110- 150 degrees depending on outside temperature and how much brake use I have been using.
Thanks will do!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check the tongue weight of the trailer. Sounds like you may have too much weight there. 7-8%. If you have the Shorelandr trailer, is your boat hanging off the bunks a couple inches in back? Haven't seen one yet with the proper tongue weight from the factory/dealer.

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check the tongue weight of the trailer. Sounds like you may have too much weight there. 7-8%. If you have the Shorelandr trailer, is your boat hanging off the bunks a couple inches in back? Haven't seen one yet with the proper tongue weight from the factory/dealer.
This is on my list of things to figure out, thanks and will do. Edit: back of lower hull is perfectly aligned to end of the bunks when it’s tight on the trailer

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the trailer is setup like the rest of them, I would think you are going to be heavy on the tongue. Also is the trailer level when loaded on your tow vehicle. Start with leveling trailer and getting proper tongue weight then go from there.

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi all, looking for some of that awesome advice. Brand new 2021 ar210 on dual axle shorelandr. I have put 350 miles on the trailer (truck keeps track). Rear axle has the disc brakes. Rear bearings get hot every time I go anywhere, too hot to keep your hand on it. There’s no discoloration on the hub. Fronts get what I would say is a normal warm.
I was due for the 10 hour service so I asked dealer to check it. They said nothing was dragging. But they didn’t take it out and replicate, but it looks like they added some grease, which hasn’t made a difference. They also bent the s**t out of one of my trailer guides and left my cover in a muddy puddle, it’s filthy and wet inside and out. So I’m not going back there for warranty service.

Trailer feels like it bounces a lot against the actuator. Larger bumps feel like I get a forward-back jolt. But in general it stops smoothly.

Anyway… it’s brand new. Is this normal? What would you do to troubleshoot at home? Any advice would be appreciated. Im thinking about putting in the surge lockout and driving for a bit (carefully) to see if locking out the brakes makes any difference.

Thanks!!
I don't know why one hub would be hot, but I think you are right to be concerned. I doubt the dealer actually checked the bearing. Maybe plan on repacking it, and making sure its not damaged already. You could also see if the pads are wearing equally, which might indicate one of them is grabbing.

The back and forth jolt on the actuator sounds like the master cylinder needs to be bled, and fluid topped off. I posted on here a year or so ago how to properly bleed these shorlandr brakes. I will try to find it if you are not sure of the procedure.

With 2 problems already on the trailer, it would make me think it was rushed out the door with no quality control at all. Hate to say it, but it should be gone over before you travel too much further.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know why one hub would be hot, but I think you are right to be concerned. I doubt the dealer actually checked the bearing. Maybe plan on repacking it, and making sure its not damaged already. You could also see if the pads are wearing equally, which might indicate one of them is grabbing.

The back and forth jolt on the actuator sounds like the master cylinder needs to be bled, and fluid topped off. I posted on here a year or so ago how to properly bleed these shorlandr brakes. I will try to find it if you are not sure of the procedure.

With 2 problems already on the trailer, it would make me think it was rushed out the door with no quality control at all. Hate to say it, but it should be gone over before you travel too much further.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Appreciate it, will see what I find.

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just an update from my end: thanks for the advice

I have checked temps after an easy drive with an infrared thermometer and am getting 130s on the brake wheels and 100ish on the non-brake wheels. And so I checked my truck at the same time. 130s on the front. Since I’m not in the habit of feeling for heat on my truck, I think I have overreacted to the excess heat by not having a good frame of reference going in. Hot is maybe not always too hot ;)

As for the not-smooth ride, my tongue weighed 425lbs when level, so right around 9-10%.

Boat sits even w/ end of bunks coming out of the water, but the firm stop to shift the bow stop forward would actually bring it forward another 2-3 inches, so that much of the bunks would stick out behind the boat.

I shifted the bow stop back about 3 inches yesterday and drove home from the lake that way. Ride was about the same, bumps create a some of forward/back momentum that feels like it’s bouncing the actuator. I will probably try 3 more inches next time I load it and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for the advice! I hope that recording these details helps the next newbie.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just hauled my boat down and back to/from Panama City. Every couple hours when I stopped for gas I checked temps. I saw 110-120 on the front axle and 130-145 on the rear (brake) axle. It was very consistent each stop... 119 on front and 143 on rear were the hottest temps I saw.

This was after a couple hours on the interstate running 70-75 mph.

IMG_7208.jpgIMG_7209.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just for general reference; most synthetic greases are good into the low 200degF range. They should provide adequate lubrication and sealing from contaminants up to that temp.