• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Houston Area? Rookie mistake

Laura

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello!
New here! We purchased our (according to my SMART 2yr old daughter Mommy's boat) new/used first boat EVER back in June. Long story short, after going back and forth on where to go, we decided to go out to uncharted territory for us this past weekend. Galveston/West Bay **BAD IDEA**. I was not very comfortable, THANK GOD, and kind of glided/beached over an oyster reef and sucking up 4 oysters going 10mph. We pretty much said screw it, turned wide and carefully around, and left. Anywhoo, I went up to my boat Monday to reluctantly check the damage on the bottom, and the hull is not looking very shiny anymore. Looks to be just surface scratches nothing badly gouged. Just a LARGE area. Anyone have any recommendations around E/NE Houston on a place that is reputable to do boat work? I've done a little bit of searching and the places I've found either have not called me back requiring past inquires or are too far. OR is it something we should be able to handle with some (well a large quantity) of that Spectrum Gel coat and the other stuff needed?

Luckily everything else is fine, we took the boat to the river instead.

Welcome Aboard!

Can you post pictures of the damage?

Thanks!

I don't have any right now. I'll be able to post some either tomorrow or Friday. We have the boat in a storage unit.

@Laura welcome aboard. That'd a bummer about the damage. Hopefully you didn't damage the pump or impeller too by sucking up those shells. Did you notice any cavitation? I don't have any real firsthand experience with repairing boat hulls, so I'll leave that advice to the experts. But hopefully you'll be able to get her all nice and new again without much effort.

Thanks!

I don't have any right now. I'll be able to post some either tomorrow or Friday. We have the boat in a storage unit.

Great...pictures really do speak volumes about these types of issues. Aside from the hull, did you check your impellers for nicks and dings? Those oysters are dang hard! :cool:

Finally got back up to take pics. The impeller actually looks ok. Around the intake grate is where the damage is the worse. Of course my thrust vectors got pretty torn up as well (we already got that covered). But here they are!! I am going to say I'm probably going to have to leave it to the pros.20140913_115032.jpg

Attachments

• 20140913_115221.jpg
    20140913_115221.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 38
  • 20140913_115231.jpg
    20140913_115231.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20140913_115334-1.jpg
    20140913_115334-1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 20140913_115344.jpg
    20140913_115344.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20140913_115414.jpg
    20140913_115414.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20140913_115453-1.jpg
    20140913_115453-1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20140913_115525.jpg
    20140913_115525.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20140913_115652-1.jpg
    20140913_115652-1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20140913_115707-1.jpg
    20140913_115707-1.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Middle.jpg
    Middle.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 37
Annnnd this is what we pulled out of the clean out port. 20140906_130104-1.jpg

Owch. Looks like a couple of small spots through the gel coat, too. That is a large area. We should get @Glassman to comment. However, it appears that all the damage is to the gel only, so you may get off a lot easier.

Unfortunately, while I am in the Houston area, I have done all of my glass work myself (only very minor stuff) with help from this forum (which is great, and welcome btw..).

When you get her fixed up, come up to Lake Conroe. No oysters.

Ouch. :(

LOL Yes! Well, we did leave and go right to the San Jacinto River to finish our day. Conroe is our next stop, eventually!

Yea, I still feel like it just happened. :confused::banghead: I should of listened to THE man. He wanted to go where we ended up. We wouldn't be dealing with this if we did. Ya live and learn!!! We just won't be doing THAT again!!

@Glassman please look at the pics.

On my phone it looks like mainly scratches in the gelcoat with a bubbled area where the gelcoat is completely removed.

And no damage to your impeller?? Wow
Yea... as far as I can tell from what I saw crawling under there today. It looks the same as it did a few weeks ago. I would of expected it to be cracked/bent some where?! But it's all intact perfectly. o_O Don't know how!! It all happened very quick and I shut it off immediately after the initial grind, I don't know how far he reached into the clean out port, but maybe some were stuck in the intake grate before hitting the impeller? He was in pretty deep. LOL.

Back