• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

How did I miss this?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I took the boat out last Sunday for a few hours. I wanted to be able to tube as soon as we hit the water instead of spend time boating to the destination so I drove to a state park instead of a city ramp. As such I had to cross a toll bridge, in ncal we only pay toll on the big bridges around here (e.g. The bay bridge, golden gate, San Mateo, dunbarton, Benicia, Antioch, etc.) and two stretches of commuter lanes (basically you can get in the fast / diamond lane if you pay a variable fee to do so, the greeter the traffic the higher the fee). Many people pay the tolls with a "fast pass" which is a transponder in the front window that triggers a payment from the user's account as it goes through the toll gate.

Anyway, I didn't have my fast pass that day (there is a limit of two per household and we have four cars), so I paid cash which apparently is a Very rare thing for me to do. I handed the toll taker a $20 bill. When I looked back at the toll taker for change she said "thank you", $20 is what it cost to take tow my boat over the bridge. When I bought my first jet ski (Kawasaki x2 in 1988) the cost to do the same thing was $1 (50 cents for the tow vehicle and 50 cents for the trailer). A few miles down the road is the state park, the launch fee didn't surprise me since I'd been there recently but it was $18. For comparison when I bought my first boat around 2001 the fee was $2. So I was $38 out in fees before I hit the water, silly me for thinking that I would save money or break even because of the cost of gas to get there by boat.

The money doesn't bother me, the fact that I didn't notice until this weekend that the bridge toll had increased so much does. I have become to reliant on the convenience of the fast pass that I never knew what I was being charged. When you use the fast pass you don't see the actual cost as you drive through the toll area, just a sign that says "thank you" (I think) and the transducer beeps. Incidentally, the tolls vary by the number of axels, more axles the higher toll charge. In all instances the vehicles going though the toll booth are photographed as they go through. From these photos the bridge district determines the applicable charge.

I took the boat out last Sunday for a few hours. I wanted to be able to tube as soon as we hit the water instead of spend time boating to the destination so I drove to a state park instead of a city ramp. As such I had to cross a toll bridge, in ncal we only pay toll on the big bridges around here (e.g. The bay bridge, golden gate, San Mateo, dunbarton, Benicia, Antioch, etc.) and two stretches of commuter lanes (basically you can get in the fast / diamond lane if you pay a variable fee to do so, the greeter the traffic the higher the fee). Many people pay the tolls with a "fast pass" which is a transponder in the front window that triggers a payment from the user's account as it goes through the toll gate.

Anyway, I didn't have my fast pass that day (there is a limit of two per household and we have four cars), so I paid cash which apparently is a Very rare thing for me to do. I handed the toll taker a $20 bill. When I looked back at the toll taker for change she said "thank you", $20 is what it cost to take tow my boat over the bridge. When I bought my first jet ski (Kawasaki x2 in 1988) the cost to do the same thing was $1 (50 cents for the tow vehicle and 50 cents for the trailer). A few miles down the road is the state park, the launch fee didn't surprise me since I'd been there recently but it was $18. For comparison when I bought my first boat around 2001 the fee was $2. So I was $38 out in fees before I hit the water, silly me for thinking that I would save money or break even because of the cost of gas to get there by boat.

The money doesn't bother me, the fact that I didn't notice until this weekend that the bridge toll had increased so much does. I have become to reliant on the convenience of the fast pass that I never knew what I was being charged. When you use the fast pass you don't see the actual cost as you drive through the toll area, just a sign that says "thank you" (I think) and the transducer beeps. Incidentally, the tolls vary by the number of axels, more axles the higher toll charge. In all instances the vehicles going though the toll booth are photographed as they go through. From these photos the bridge district determines the applicable charge.
Actuall @Ronnie, when you use your fast track while towing you're only charged the normal vehicle rate. The fast track scanner does not have the capabilities to count your axels it only scans your fast track. So you do save when you use it while towing. I had one but my less then frequent use caused cal trans to shut my account down due to lack of use. Of course when I did decide to use is when I find out.

I hate Commiefornia. . . . But unfortunately the Peoples Republic of NY isn't much better :(

Actuall @Ronnie, when you use your fast track while towing you're only charged the normal vehicle rate. The fast track scanner does not have the capabilities to count your axels it only scans your fast track. So you do save when you use it while towing. I had one but my less then frequent use caused cal trans to shut my account down due to lack of use. Of course when I did decide to use is when I find out.

I hope this is true but I'm not so sure. My wife told me that we get billed $20 every time we tow the boat over the bridge and a little less when we tow the skis (because it has one less axle). The actual charges show up on our bank/debit card statements. That is, she was not surprised by the fees, just lucky me. Here is a pic of the fees at the state park, I thought I got a pic of the toll fees but I guess not. I could have launched at Antioch for $5 or Orwood for $10 and avoided the bridge fee altogether. The bridge fees are definitely going to be a factor in where I boat going forward as will the launch fees. I find it ridiculous that it cost me more to tow my boat over a bridge than it does for me to launch, park and recover it. The fact that the state park launch fees are higher for a more run down facility than other closer facilities too me is just salt in the wound. I don't know what the state is doing with the money but they aren't spending it on the bridge or state park I paid to use that day. $33 to per night to camp there. $44 for a full hookup spot? Seriously?
image.jpg

North Carolina recently installed a toll system in the greater Raleigh area. its a people-less system. You use a fast-pass, or they bill you via USPS for an additional fee.

the system has the ability to count axles. they get their money !!

$20 for a toll is ...is...is....mind blowing.

Here In the "great" state of Illinois, we have I-pass , same system transponder on the window a sign says thank you..HAHA..IF YOU DO NOT HAVE I-pass the tolls are double. That is not horrible for a regular car but for a semi truck the tolls in some spots are $6 bucks with the ipass, without $12 bucks. Keep in mind these are not toll bridges just toll roads.

The Golden Gate Bridge has its own toll structure, I think it is $6 for a passenger car on the weekdays (on all other bridges it is $5) on the weekends it goes up $1 or $2. There was a proposal by SF's Mayor to stop charging for street parking on Sunday's. They brought in $1.5M in fines the first year they started charging for parking on Sunday's but felt like overall the city lost is losing money because less people (consumers) are coming in on Sunday as a result of the parking fees and fines. When the World Series quake hit in 1989 the tolls were increased from $1 to $2. This was supposed to last two years, many predicted it would never go back down, no one seemed to realize how much it would continue to go up. Here is an excerpt from the state's toll site.

Toll Schedule for State-Owned Toll Bridges
See also:
BRIDGES AND TOLLS
2 AXLE VEHICLES

• Antioch Bridge, Benicia-Martinez Bridge, Carquinez Bridge, Dumbarton Bridge, Richmond-San Rafael Bridge, and San Mateo-Hayward Bridge
    • 2 axle vehicles— regular toll: $5.00
  • San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge
    • 2 axle vehicles between 12:01 a.m. and 5 a.m., between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., and from 7 p.m. to midnight, Monday through Friday—$4.00
    • 2 axle vehicles between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m. and between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday—$6.00
    • 2 axle vehicles between 12:01 a.m. Saturday and midnight Sunday— regular toll: $5.00
MULTI-AXLE VEHICLES
  • All Bridges
    • Effective July 1, 2012:

• 3 axles regular toll of $5.00 times 3 axles - $15.00
      4 axles regular toll of $5.00 times 4 axles - $20.00
      5 axles regular toll of $5.00 times 5 axles - $25.00
      6 axles regular toll of $5.00 times 6 axles - $30.00
      7 axles or more regular toll of $5.00 times 7 axles - $35.00

Last edited:
Actuall @Ronnie, when you use your fast track while towing you're only charged the normal vehicle rate. The fast track scanner does not have the capabilities to count your axels it only scans your fast track.t.
I can't say specifically about the system in your location, but the new systems DO HAVE the capability to count your axles. It hasn't always been there, but the started sneaking it in to automated toll booths several years ago. Not all have it, but eventually, all will.
North Carolina recently installed a toll system in the greater Raleigh area. its a people-less system. You use a fast-pass, or they bill you via USPS for an additional fee.
the system has the ability to count axles. they get their money !!.
Yep, and don't be surprised if they start charging more for dualies.
http://www.tolltex.com/content/tolltex_dual_tire_detection.htm

We lived in the East Bay (Tri-Valley) for almost 20 years before moving to the suburbs of Atlanta. We didn't have a boat. We do now.
I don't launch (dry stack) but if I did, it would cost me $3 on weekdays, $4 weekends or (gasp) $30 for an annual pass (hey, I think I just sounded like the most interesting man in the world!)

@Ronnie Doesn't fastrak just debit from your fastrak account and then use your debit/credit to replenish the account? log on to your fastrak account and it will show the toll each time you went through. See if there are any $20 ones.

And here I was thinking it was some shit that they now charge $6 to go over some bridges here when I recall less than 10 years ago it was $1.50...

We have a new toll bridge in Vancouver. They digi-photo your license so no transponder required. You just set up an account. $20 is harsh. Was it possibly like a bus where they dont give change no matter how much you give them? Cam.

3 axles regular toll of $5.00 times 3 axles - $15.00
4 axles regular toll of $5.00 times 4 axles - $20.00
5 axles regular toll of $5.00 times 5 axles - $25.00
6 axles regular toll of $5.00 times 6 axles - $30.00
7 axles or more regular toll of $5.00 times 7 axles - $35.00

In New York, we have all sorts of tolls, fees and crazy taxes as well. I live WAY Upstate and they aren't as bad as near Manhattan, but still crazy. Launching the boat is still reasonable though with State Park and private ramps costing $8-10 and season passes at some places costing as little a $125.

I live right off the Greenway in Northern VA. The toll to drive it is $6.20. If you continue on to the Dulles Airport Access Road and all the way in to DC, it's another $2.50 tolls. The Greenway is people less too, so EZ Pass or credit card to drive it. If you drive it everyday to work in DC it's $17.40 a day round trip. That's crazy....$4,500 a year. I've towed my boat through it a few times, not sure if they charged me more, but I do know they charge by the axle. I figured that was preset in the transponder though....never checked how much I was charged.

Don't even get me started on the fact that Loudoun County is the richest county (or one of the richest depending on the stats) and I have to pay for my kids to play high school sports. Pay to play fee that goes to the county....at least the booster club provides the equipment, uniforms and referees. Oh wait.....the parents of the players are the booster club. Going to cost me $600-$700 for my son to play freshman football for his high school...I'm sure lacrosse will be the same in the spring.

I'm going to be boating 45 miles from the lower Sacramento delta to old Sacramento next weekend and am leaning once again to crossing the bridge and launching from the state park. At first I didn't want to pay the fee, and won't for a day trip, but this time I probably will to reduce the water time but more importantly to park my tow vehicle in a more secure location. Too soften the blow I will just use fast pass on the bridge.

When I visited Chicago near ohare airport, it's seemed like I was dropping coins into a toll basket every few miles, more so when I got lost. The Florida turnpike was another strange one, when I got on they handed me a card, all the gas stations , stores, rest stops, etc. where in the medium. There are toll booths at each exit. When I exited At the end I asked what it cost and they had me hand them the card. End to end was over $10 back in 1998.

Back