• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to fix?

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a small, what I thought was a stress crack or some spidering, but after putting my finger on it looks like the gel coat has separated from the fiberglass. Any suggestions how to approach. Not sure if I should try to backfill it with something or start pulling away the gelcoat till there is no separation between the fiberglass and the gel coat. Looks like either I have a larger project than I was hoping for. :-(
0B4B223C-1A0A-40FD-813D-FCD98DAF4346.jpeg

A6B9FC08-14E6-4F47-8844-828F2CFD346C.jpeg

A0EDBBCF-638B-4A6B-9D0B-E4C7CED1F141.jpeg

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Lol! We are totally spoiled. It’s barely been 12 hours, since the initial request. :)

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hahaha you’re 100000% right, I was laughing at myself when I posted the follow up. We are def spoiled!

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Simple fix... New Boat??

Capture.JPG

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
See now we’re talkin! I love the idea of a new boat by mean, hard to give up having one paid off.

If I did though it’d be a 240, not the big boy.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It looks like a manufacturing defect. They spray the mold with gelcoat and then lay the fiberglass. It looks like the fiberglass did not stay flat in the mold as it cured and you were left with a little pocket. You need to fill it with epoxy resin mixed with some type of thickener.

Epoxy Filler Selection Guide for Marine Grade WEST SYSTEM Epoxy

I think that west system 410 is what you're looking for. I did a boat with that stuff and it's really difficult to sand. I assume 407 would be worse if you don't have power tools. After you get it nice and smooth, then you can topcoat with gelcoat. I can't help there. I've only painted with automotive paints.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @MBalducci1990 I supposed I need to peel this thing back to where there isn’t separation between the fiberglass and the gelcoat huh?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a small, what I thought was a stress crack or some spidering, but after putting my finger on it looks like the gel coat has separated from the fiberglass. Any suggestions how to approach. Not sure if I should try to backfill it with something or start pulling away the gelcoat till there is no separation between the fiberglass and the gel coat. Looks like either I have a larger project than I was hoping for. :-(
View attachment 92048

View attachment 92050

View attachment 92049
Tell us more about this crack. Has it been there for a while? expanding? Did the gelcoat collapse when you put pressure on it with your finger? I guess you want really know if there is a void behind and/or more substantial structural issue until you start sanding.
Epoxy is strong, but can be really difficult to sand, and gelcoat doesn’t always stick well to it unless it’s sanded really well.
I would stick with polyester as much as possible for repairs if it is cosmetic, unless it really is something more serious.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah so, it started out what just looked like a spider crack or a stress crack (see the lines to the left and right of the point where you can tell I pushed my finger through).

I was kind of tapping around it with my finger one day to try and see what I was dealing with and noticed it sounded a little hollow. I countined to tap and well now here we are.

I guess my question is do I try to back fill the area with something then gel coat over the part I pushed in? Or do I need to just start pulling away gel coat till it meets the fiberglass? I think it’s separated about an inch or 2 around where it’s now indented based on sound but not really sure if it goes from stress crack to stress crack.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks @MBalducci1990 I supposed I need to peel this thing back to where there isn’t separation between the fiberglass and the gelcoat huh?
Yeah. Your repair is only as good as whats beneath it. It won't hold up if there is any cracked gelcoat behind it. Hulls flex a lot! Also you need to look behind there and make sure there isn't dry glass or something. Make sure you wear a quality respirator when working with any of that stuff. They're like $30+

I went through a similar repair on a carbon fiber stand up jet ski that I owned. There was a sharp angle in the hull and the flex was breaking the gelcoat. I had to grind out the cracked gelcoat and fillet with the epoxy+filler.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a higher res photo if that helps. View attachment 92086
One thing is for sure, if you fix it yourself will have a total satisfaction!

Start sanding and see what it looks like underneath. Filler could be Bondo with fiber, easy to work with, $15 a can. The important part is matching gelcoat color and we are in luck, as OEM gelcoats are available from spectrum through I boat, yours is most likely WC5 white.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
One thing is for sure, if you fix it yourself will have a total satisfaction!

Start sanding and see what it looks like underneath. Filler could be Bondo with fiber, easy to work with, $15 a can. The important part is matching gelcoat color and we are in luck, as OEM gelcoats are available from spectrum through I boat, yours is most likely WC5 white.
Correct. The bondo fiberglass resin will work, is cheaper, and more user friendly then epoxy resin. I originally suggested epoxy because i'm accustomed to it. All the hulls I worked on had required epoxy for a few reasons that I won't list here.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
wow your fast on the repair. Great job