• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to fixed pulled screw from fiberglass?

JJ-B-Boatin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing a screw that has pulled out of the fiberglass? The screw holds a button snap for the snap on cover. I have tried a larger screw but that did not last that long. If I fill the hole with the spectrum paste and then redrill for the screw would that work? Should I fill the hole with epoxy first, then with the spectrum color matched paste, then redrill and insert screw? Is there a better way? Any feedback would be great appreciated!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fill the hole with epoxy or 3M 5200, let it cure, redrill and reuse the original screw.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Or the lazy version is shoot some 5200 in the hole followed by the original screw and let it cure.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are in a time pinch take a wooden match and insert in hole and break off and put screw back in. You will have to fix permanently but it can last a long time.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Toothpicks work too. So I'm told... ;)

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have access to the area behind the snap? If so, you could put a small bolt on it with a nylock and washer on the backside.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you want it to last, you must fill the void with epoxy and add micro balloons if you have them handy. 5200 will not hold well enough.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I fill the hole with the spectrum paste and then redrill for the screw would that work?
Gelcoat alone will crack. That would be fine if you wanted to cover the whole/make it disappear.

Should I fill the hole with epoxy first, then with the spectrum color matched paste, then redrill and insert screw?
Yes, that is the way to go. All cored hull fittings used to be done this way. Our boats are not cored but this is the technique for a good fix. Keep in mind you can get white epoxy which would perhaps look good enough you may not need gelcoat fix on top. I think Marine Tex is one.

--

JJ-B-Boatin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for all the feedback! When the screw pulled form the fiberglass, it took a bit of fiberglass with it and left some small scratches. The button is not large enough to cover the area that was damaged. I was hoping I could just fill the hole with the spectrum color match patch, re drill and put the screw in. It seems based on all the responses, my best approach will be to epoxy with micro balloons first, leave a bit of a depression and fill with the spectrum color match paste, re drill and apply the screw/button. Thanks again for all the responses. This site is awesome!

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are in a time pinch take a wooden match and insert in hole and break off and put screw back in. You will have to fix permanently but it can last a long time.
So This Old House has become, This Old Boat.:). Will Norm be showing up soon?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd fill the hole with jb weld, then use tape to insert the snap, also covered with jb. Remove tape when cured. Add white paint if you want to touch up.