• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

How to secure seat cushions??

Yellowbird911

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just noticed a few threads about losing seat cushions, is this while towing? Is this real common? Have just recently started towing my boat as before it sat on a dock but didn't realize the cushions might blow out. Did know about the forward center cushion but not the side cushions. How does everyone secure them for towing. Not a fan of towing with a cover.

Just out of curiosity, why not a fan of towing with the cover on? Not judging, I just never tow without it. I tow every time out and wouldn't want to be without its protection when towing.

Just out of curiosity, why not a fan of towing with the cover on? Not judging, I just never tow without it. I tow every time out and wouldn't want to be without its protection when towing.
I have been towing without the cover up to about 50mph and no lost cushions yet. Over that I will make sure to put the cover on but I do notice significantly more drag with the cover on than off at 50mph. I'm towing with a 2020 Silverado 1500 5.8L. So it's more than capable and I hardly feel the boat on the back for short local trips without the cover. But hitting the highway @ 65mph I can definitely feel it.

Just don't want to deal with one at the ramp and then have to stow it somewhere. Prefer to leave the house with the boat ready to go straight in. Only about a 30 drive to the ramp but it is down an interstate. If I was towing a significant distance a cover would be ok.

I only tow about 7 miles each way but I’ve read about this too and never experienced it. I never tow with my cover on but I make sure to keep the center cushion in the front stowed in the head compartment, close the windshield, and lift up the port side seat from the bench setting. The only seat that’s very loose is the port side in the back (above batteries) and lifting up the port side seat secures it tightly.

A few years ago I read on here that some were buying rolls of Velcro and attaching it to the seats to keep them in a little better. I bought the roll of Velcro and ended up using it for Christmas lights so it never went in the boat.

Just something else to worry about I guess. Anyone ever lose or hear of someone losing a front cushion other than the center forward cushion?

I understand. Different strokes for different folks right? My crew has me spoiled.....most days they have the cover off and the boat ready to go by the time I get out of the truck to remove the buckles and check the plugs. Likewise, by the time I am ready to get out of the boat after being pulled up the ramp, they are well underway wiping it down and getting the cover ready to go back on....most times rushing me out of the boat because I'm in the way :-)

For the maybe 10 minutes on & 3min. off I cover the boat for our 30min. drive of mostly highway when we tow. I stow it in the back of the truck once we take it off in the staging area of the marina. I don't want to take a chance of losing any seats and once the seat is gone there may be something in the storage area that may blow out. One option is to pile all of the seats in the bow and put your cooler or something like that on them or a bungee around them all to hold them in place.

Our salesmen told us to stow away our front middle cushion as well as our rear starboard seat as they can fly out while towing without a cover. We did it a couple times until I got a small tear in one of the seats from pulling it out of the storage area. I used 2" wide white Velcro to hold those two seats down. They're easy to remove with the Velcro and it's strong enough to hold the seat down while towing. We tow to the lake almost every weekend (1-1.5 hours each way) and haven't had an issue yet on the highway (60-70mph).

I will be picking up some strap material and a snap kit. Easy to make some straps and a couple of snaps screwed in doesn't bother me. I can see how tossing cushion in and out of holds or back of truck could easily damage them.

Back