• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to teach the kids to (ski/wakeboard/surfboard)?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi.

Ok, so here is my problem: I have never water skied. Nor wakeboarded or kneeboarded nor surboarded. And now that I have a boat, I am always driving. And the kids want to ski or something.

I have: My AR240, basically stock (budget prevents adding ballast, etc. at this time). I have a pair of combo skis and the little learning bar that can go between them. I would not be opposed to picking up another board or something, if there were high hopes that the kids would actually be able to use it. I have ropes to tow and with a handle (of course).

So, then. What is the best way to try to teach the kids to do something behind the boat other than sit on the tube (which, of course, they love--nothing wrong with that)?

Thanks in advance for any advice you would offer.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how old are they?

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This may sound dumb but we taught the whole family all that using printed instructions off the internet.. Cam.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I will be watching what you all come up with. I'm taking my 5 yr old to the cable park to wakeboard in the next week or so. They have a 1.5 foot deep beginners pond. I figured this would be a solid way to learn the basics before getting frustrated behind the boat.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I made my own versions of wakeboard trainer straps that I saw on YouTube. Let me know if you are intereded and I'll look for the post/attach some pics.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how old are they?
The presently-more-interested one is 16; the other is 13. I also have a 19 year old who will undoubtedly want to get to it once the other two do...

we taught the whole family all that using printed instructions off the internet
Oh! Never really thought to look there. Duh. Do you know where?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't even mess around with a skis or a knee board, wakeboarding is very easy to get the hang of if they have any upper body strength at all, just pull them up slow or I would introduce them to surfing, even easier to get up than wakeboarding,

you can look at you tube for instructional videos also, just remember as a driver it's easy on the person on the water to have them slight off set to the side of the boat so their toes face the wake and do a gentle turn that way starting rather than directly behind the boat and pulling straight,

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, @Scottintexas ! Exactly the type of feedback for which I was looking. Is a longer or shorter rope length easier? Gonna go Youtube hunting...

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We taught ourselves how to get up on a wakeboard and wakesurf by watching how to video on the internet. It was very helpful after struggling in the water behind the boat!

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Youtube it. I have a very hard-headed 10 year old and a 6 year old. I bought them a Hyperlite Motive 119 this off season. The very first time my 10 year old strapped it to his feet, he got up and a was riding. I watched a video on YouTube on how to teach kids and sat on the back of the boat and explained it to him. Honestly never thought he would get it so quickly.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I made my own versions of wakeboard trainer straps that I saw on YouTube. Let me know if you are intereded and I'll look for the post/attach some pics.
YES! PM me if you want. Looking for a way to teach a 4 & 5 year old. to avoid as much frustration as possible.