• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to tell if Charging system is working

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am curious as to what voltage i should get while underway if I use a tester and touch terminals. I know in a car i will get around 14 volts, not sure the output of the boat charging system though. I seem to have both batteries that wont hold charge or are not being charged by boat. One is only a little over year old and is a deep cycle from wal-mart (prob junk), other is a Duracell about 3 yrs old. I am going to have them load tested at Auto Zone and see if they are just actually shot.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am curious as to what voltage i should get while underway if I use a tester and touch terminals. I know in a car i will get around 14 volts, not sure the output of the boat charging system though. I seem to have both batteries that wont hold charge or are not being charged by boat. One is only a little over year old and is a deep cycle from wal-mart (prob junk), other is a Duracell about 3 yrs old. I am going to have them load tested at Auto Zone and see if they are just actually shot.
Assuming no big extra load (like ballast pumps running), I see about 14.2-14.3V on plane and 13-ish at idle, I think. I believe I have the same charging system with stators.

EDIT: different than with engines off - I see 12.4-12.5V or so.

--