• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to turn off automatic bilge?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Owner of a 2015 Scarab 165. I was under the impression that the battery switch (the large red one) would turn off all power to the boat. Apparently that isn't the case since the automatic bilge still runs.

I like the idea of an automatic bilge, but it doesn't seem to know when to give up. I need a practical way to turn it off at times otherwise it will drain the battery if I don't notice it. Obviously I can disconnect the battery, but I thought that was the purpose of that red battery switch.

Solutions?

Merci.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Found another thread that confirms that the battery switch doesn't turn off the automatic bilge. So is there another way? Putting a tarp on every time there is a little rain would be impractical.

Floyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
You could wire your automatic bilge pump to the battery switch and that would make sure that it's disconnected when you turn off the battery. This might not be advisable if the boat is left in the water, but I put a solar charger panel from Harbor Freight on mine to keep the battery up when I had a Whaler Jet that had a slow leak.
Another solution might be to install another bilge pump with a float switch that only activates when there is water in the bilge, and use the original pump as a backup wired to the battery switch or bilge switch.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The reason why it's automatic is because a few good rainy days in a row will bring lots of water in your engine compartment.
Solution from @Floyd are pretty good, be careful if you decide to by-pass the original automatic bilge pump.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Thanks! I guess there is indeed no other easy turn off. Oh well.

I'll definitely consider those proposals but a little reluctant to modify it. I do agree they are good ideas if one were to need a solution.

I close up the boat during the week since it's at the cottage. It is nice to know that the pump would run if water gets in. The tarp keeps it bone dry in my case. It's when I'm at the cottage and it rains hard overnight like it did last night. The pump was running on and off this morning and nothing was being pumped out. It never stopped. I had to stand on the corner to make it pump and once it did, I stepped off and it finally stopped. That's my current solution.

Thanks.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the rear of the boat behind the battery selector,shut off switch, open it up. Then look at your battery, one of the cables attached to the positive terminal is the bilge pump. Take it off of the battery, and move it to the common (lower middle) on the back of the selectior switch.

This will keep the bilge on auto while the switch is on battery, but off with all accessories when the switch is on off position.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Lol I only know you from a few posts and you already impress me! Heading to the boat now to check it out.

Thanks

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yep. Need some help. Here is the picture https://goo.gl/photos/sEoP7mPkchaKMAEy9 I know that if I disconnect the thick red wire it turns it off. But as you can see, that wire goes straight into the battery switch at the bottom.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
It looks to me like the two small yellow wires on the ground inside of the casing are the bilge too. Should I move those ones instead?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I'm such an idiot. Just realized you meant inside the switch. Just did it and it worked wonderfully. Merci beaucoup!