• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to update engine hours after Connext screen replacement

bfranklin03

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2017 242 Limited S and recently had the Connext screen replaced due to the touchscreen going bad. I got lucky and my dealer was able to find a refurbished unit. Everything works great except the engine hours read 0 on the new display, which sounds like is a common issue. I've read conflicting posts about the hours being stored in the display, the tach's, the ECUs, etc. and I was hoping the hours would update from the ECUs once the boat was started but they didn't. My dealer says they're not able to program the display with the correct engine hours and that the Yamaha factory can't either. I have a hard time believing there's no way to update the hours given the number of issues with the Connext system. I recall reading a post where someone's dealer was able to work with Yamaha and get the engine hours updated on a new display. Does anyone have the definitive answer on whether these displays can be updated with the correct engine hours and how to do it? Or, does someone know of a dealer that knows how?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The first gen 240s (2010 through 2014) have analog tachs with multi function LCD displays. When I replaced the ecus with those from a 2017 240 I found that the engine hours are not stored in the ecus but the gauges. I didn’t check to see if the hours could be modified but assume not (rolling back engine hours or miles on a car seems to be ripe for fraud) just took pics and noted the difference between the 2010 and 2017 ecu hours so I would know. Good luck.

bfranklin03

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks. I suspect the engine hours are stored in the tachs for my 2017 also. If they are stored in the ECUs then they certainly don’t transmit to the display. Seems like Yamaha dealers would have a way to update engine hours when a display is replaced to make sure someone doesn’t try and rip off a buyer by advertising less hours than what is really on the engines. Here’s a pic of my display one day after replacing it.
image.jpg

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The older boats with mr1had software to read engine hours and trouble shoot some items on the engine. Maybe look into something like that if you need to show low hours for resale. Did they take back your old screen as a core to send out to be refurbished. Please find out more info on this refurbishing since these screens are not available and seem to be failing. It would be great to have a source for screen repair. On the 2017xe there is a button on the tach for hours but also can be read on the screen