• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Hull damage

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Underneath the boat and I found this toward the beginning of the upward slope of the keel. As I pressed around it feels like its a bubble in the fiberglass under the gelcoat.

My question is, what should I repair it with? I plan on installing a keel guard so it will be covered in the future.
Thanks

20150806_160527_zpswoxhx4wh.jpg

Last edited:
It will take a little grinding to get to undamaged glass, then some layup, sand, gel coat , wet sand, and buff.

Do any of the scratches go through the gelcoat?

I would use underwater epoxy then install the keel guard after it cures. But if anything is soft or rotting you will need to take care of that first.

Guess I need to get my read on and start learning about gelcoat repair.

I would use underwater epoxy then install the keel guard after it cures. But if anything is soft or rotting you will need to take care of that first.

None of the scratches go through, and i've been watching the keel closely. This just appeared after our last outing. it clearly feels like a bubble under the gelcoat that got struck by something and crushed in. This is right on the keel edge.

You can repair the gelcoat with spectrum color matched gelcoat paste or simply fill it with marinetex or another brand of marine epoxy.

The concern is the bubble like area that you feel. The gelcoat protects the fiberglass. If the glass has been exposed to water it may be rotting. You do not want to have a weak area in the hull.

If it is a manufacturing defect then your dealer should repair it under warranty.

It will take a little grinding to get to undamaged glass, then some layup, sand, gel coat , wet sand, and buff.
^what he said...this is your course to return it to the original condition, but better. You see, that was most likely caused by a void in the original construction of the boat...a bubble if you will.

Bruce is very practical. I had a somewhat similar situation with my keel. Fortunately the damage fell directly in line with the coverage of the Keel Shield. But I did use gel coat....because I have lots, otherwise epoxy works great.
You can test the integrity of the underlying fiberglass with a pick. A good cleaning with acetone and dry with gently applied air will give you a better look. It's important that it be completely dry before you repair it.

Shout if you need help. ;)

@Glassman Thanks! I may want to call you. Since it's such a small area and will be covered by keel guard in the future, Im confident doing it myself. Might just need some pointers.

Should I pick out the gelcoat thats not holding on tight?

@Glassman Thanks! I may want to call you. Since it's such a small area and will be covered by keel guard in the future, Im confident doing it myself. Might just need some pointers.

Should I pick out the gelcoat thats not holding on tight?
Absolutely, I'll pm my number.

And yes, you'll want to remove any material that is loose. You need a solid, clean surface. Prep is the key to a good repair.

So just to update in case anyone looks at this in the future. I picked at the gelcoat surrounding the original fissure and it flaked off. Then for good measure i roughed it up by touching it with an 80 grit paper, and finally wiped it clean with acetone. I believe i just had an airbubble under the gelcoat.
20150814_132948_zpsdy94rr3h.jpg

I mixed up a dime size glob (way too much) of PC-11 marine paste epoxy loaned to me by a neighbor.

20150814_133349_zpsv5st7b3k.jpg

Taped off my damage and schmeered it over the raw fiberglass.

20150814_133836_zpsjaxbmfwe.jpg

In order to cut down the sanding later, I took a piece of wax paper, laid it over the epoxy and smoothed the entire area to the contour of the keel, leaving the wax paper on the spot while it cured.

20150814_133915_zpspn7oufs4.jpg

This morning I took some 1000 grit wet dry paper and sanded it smooth with the contour. Ive already ordered a keel guard which will cover this and hopefully keep anymore damage from occurring.

20150815_100128_zpsrpeks4cc.jpg

Thank you to @Glassman who sent me some reading material which gave me the confidence that I could do this. :winkingthumbsup"

Well done!
Never heard of PC-11 but it looks like it worked out well.

@Glassman 's got competition with @njmr2fan for top dog glass repairer ;):D.

Probably not! But thats a huge compliment. thank you. If it were white part A and white part B it would've matched. Part B is bluish. In the photo it looks dark, looking at it it's actually quite close but not quite...

Hey great work Andy. Glad it all came together for you.

I, on the other hand, managed to put a ding in MY boat over the weekend! :confused:

I was nosing around a dredging operation up river - looks like they are building a new private marina. Well, I underestimated the strength of the current and got pushed into a submerged rock bar that developed after one of the recent monsoons. At first glance I couldn't see anything while the boat was on the trailer, but my grandson climbed under there and sure enough, just past the end of the keel guard there is a chunk missing...about the size of a fifty cent piece.

So, I got that to take care of before we go out again. :rolleyes:

Bummer.

Do you want my number in case you have any questions? :woot:

Okay, now i'm just pushing it...I know.

Ha Ha , good one...I already HAVE your number, remember?

Maybe I'll make a video of this repair - it's going to be a down and dirty parking lot repair job using Spectrum paste and my room key card! I have a bunch of those things piling up, might as well put them to good use. :D

The video will be very interesting if you do get to make it. Under none ideal conditions, which is how I seem to have to operate most of the time!

I found this very small scratch under my boat in the left side of the lateral to the keel guard. Think I might have hit a stick last weekend. Heading out to the lake for a week tomorrow. When should I repair this, at the end of the season when there might be more or immediately? If so, how long will it take to repair and cure before I could use again. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1561.JPG
    IMG_1561.JPG
    476.6 KB · Views: 11
I found this very small scratch under my boat in the left side of the lateral to the keel guard. Think I might have hit a stick last weekend. Heading out to the lake for a week tomorrow. When should I repair this, at the end of the season when there might be more or immediately? If so, how long will it take to repair and cure before I could use again. Thanks in advance.
It'll be fine. You could dab a little caulk on there if you want to ease your mind.

Back