• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I NEED HELP WITH UNUSUAL NOISE

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Today when I was working on my boat on the trailer, I noticed a continuous whinning type noise in the engine compartment. Key on, both batteries on, float mode. It’s not the bilge pump or the blowers, goes away when I turn off the starter battery. Sounds like the fuel pump, but not sure. You would think the pump would shut off without a crank signal. It never times out, keeps running. My concern is when I’m in fliat mode on the lake this sucker is going to kill the batteries. This may be normal, but I think it should stop at some point. I let it run for an hour and it definitely was depleting the batteries.

Any ideas? Thanks….

Twin 1.8L 212SE

Open tank hatch and put your fingers on the fuel pumps should feel a vibration if their on.

Just a thought,but sometimes on certain vehicles, when the key is on you will here some high frequency noise coming from the stepper motor that opens and close your throttle plate. Not sure how loud your noise is but it’s worth a listen.

Just a guess here but if it's the fuel pump not cutting off I would assume it would be a bad fuel pressure switch, or bad fuel return check valve. Something along those lines. Not familiar with your motor. Best of luck

I just noticed the same thing. I unplugged my bilge pump just to check And no change. Seems to be coming from port engine. Was this ever resolved?

I just noticed the same thing. I unplugged my bilge pump just to check And no change. Seems to be coming from port engine. Was this ever resolved?
No, I never resolved it. Going to investigate further this weekend.

My shower nozzle has a locking mechanism on it so you don’t have to hold the button down all the time. One time when I was draining the tank, I locked it in place and let it drain. Problem is I forgot about it. The only thing that brought it to my attention was the motor sound that your describing. Mine was on starboard side so may not be your issue, but thought I would mention it.

Ok. Not the shower. …still curious what it is. It’s running when the ignition is on. There must be a mechanic here that can answer this like snapping their fingers

Can you post a video?

I could try. Get a recording of the sound. The video would just be a shot of the side of my engine…. But there is a noise coming From the port engine n the starboard side of the engine. Ie between the 2 motors. A wine like a small computer fan.

My engines buzz as well if the key is on. I read a post a long time ago that said it was the fuel pumps so I just assumed it was normal. It can only be heard when the hatch is open.

Just a thought,but sometimes on certain vehicles, when the key is on you will here some high frequency noise coming from the stepper motor that opens and close your throttle plate. Not sure how loud your noise is but it’s worth a listen.
Very true. This ?would be my best guess without physically looking at the boat.

I've noticed the same with mine. Goes away when I power down. I'll see if I can get video of mine and see if it's the same as yours.

Okay. I stepped out and recorded my noise. Both seem to come from the starboard side of the engines. Noise come and go with the ignition key on or off. When I turn the key off, it seems to power down and make a click noise at the end. ?‍♂️

I couldn't upload the video. Said doesn't have the right extension. I'll try something tomorrow.

Back