• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

IF you enjoy wake sports in Missouri, you need to be aware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you are not aware, there has been legislation filed in Missouri to address boat wakes. This legislation came to being because of the rough waters at Lake of the Ozarks and the damage boat wakes does to docks and property.

Let me say first and foremost that I understand and live the problem. It was a huge determiner in where I choose to stay and boat at that lake. Even as a wakesurf guy I have experienced the dark said of rough wakes on docks, other boaters and even my own crew taking on damaging boat wakes even after the offending boat is long gone.

Here is what YOU need to be aware of, because this bill is not just aimed at the cruisers:
  • Boats over 30’ in length or boats that take on ballast to create a wake are not allowed to intentionally plow within 300’ of a dock, pier, or anchored boat. The original proposal would have moved all boats that were intentionally plowing to an unpopulated area of the lake. It was pointed out that this was too restrictive and that it would include a small fishing boat pulling an inner tube.
  • Since there are some of the same issues on other lakes in Missouri, the bill now goes to all lakes and not just the Lake of the Ozarks. Water Patrol also commented that it would be easier for boaters to have the same rules statewide.
Start your research here if you have not heard about the Wake Bill and or have any type of ballast on your boat: http://www.lakenewsonline.com/article/20151217/NEWS/151219091

There does need to be a solution. For me, I don't feel this is the right one. You don't have to agree with me about what is good or bad, but my biggest concern as a wake boat owner is that many Missouri lakes are not 300' wide in many places. By definition, if I am wakesurfing or wakeboarding (which is intentionally plowing) anywhere there is a dock or anchored boat in the channel, I need to give a 300' berth. What if the channel is not 300' wide? What if a boat is on the hook on either side of the channel? The lake would have to be 2 football fields wide for me to run down the center. If you have plumbed ballast (factory or aftermarket) or even just fill up a fat sack from time to time, this bill affects you.

If you vote, now is a good time to be involved and let your voice be heard. Even if you don't live in Missouri, there will be other similar legislation on the horizon in your area.

Wow. This is a crazy bill. Hopefully there will be some level heads in the debate of this bill. I agree something has to control the non level headed people. A little common sense goes a long way.

Common sense is strikingly not very common.

I deal with wake legislation in oregon....there are certain parts of the river i use that restricts ballast (human or otherwise) to specific areas. luckily, it's a fairly reasonable rule and doesn't really interfere with wakesurfing. i just go full throttle (@jcyamaharider will attest ) and get there fast!!

^^^^ That is funny and so true!!! I was enjoying every minute of it!

Back