• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impeller boot mystery damage

pltsman45

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Have a 2016 255 and recently have been getting some cavitation at around 35-4000 rpm's. Thinking it was a twig or something stuck on impeller, went to take a look and found the boot was damaged, basically the soft plastic part was chewed up. Which i think normally happens when you suck up a tow rope/dock line something like that, which i haven't done. Pulled the pump to find only a little bit of weeds wrapped around the drive shaft where the soft plastic part of the boot would be. Has anyone encountered this before? Could weeds wrap around this boot and damage it? Or do these boots just go sometime? Here is a pic of the damaged boot vs a new one. All the soft plastic is about gone and all that was left was the hard plastic. Put a new boot on and will see if that takes care of the cavitation.

Attachments

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
This happened to one of mine as well. Not sure how it happened either, but it made the boat shake like crazy.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I now keep 2 new boots in my bin of repair parts, along with 2 starter relays and several sizes of gear clamps. All are cheap parts that seem to cause problems from time to time.
My previous boat was an I/O, and parts bin included around 25 parts, some big, some small, and around 25lbs of tools. Scarabs are not perfect, but ownership has been much less stressful and overall way less expensive than my Merc I/O was.

pltsman45

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Yes, I have a similar repair bin, one boot and 6 relays i'll add some various size gear clamps. Haven't needed the relays yet.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
A spare boot isn't a bad idea. Never needed it, but cheap as you say. I think I'll get one in case.

I highly doubt weeds would have caused that. Maybe something got sucked up at one point and eventually got released. But glad to know it was an easy-ish solution.

Guniwheel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Just had my bot damaged by rope. Where did you guys buy your replacement boots? Thanks

blthlt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
might wanna see if anyone has a spare they'd sell you..

pltsman45

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
pltsman45 that is exactly the boot that I bought to replace a bad one. Great quality, fit perfectly, cheap, fast delivery.