• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impeller swap - how difficult/special tools?

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
My '06 SR210 is still running the original housing/wear rings and impellers. They have minor dings that were filed smooth the other year but I was planning to replacing the wear ring/housing and impellers before next season over the winter. How difficult is it to remove/swap the impellers? Any special tools required?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it's very easy but unless you were having noticeable issues I wouldn't do it,

If it's still original I'd be more concerned about doing a impeller cone bearing replacement as part of preventive maintenance rather than a impeller/wear ring, have you ever checked your impeller cone bearing ??

the only special tool you would need (but not required) would be an impeller nut wrench (probably not the official name), where ever you buy your impellers should be able to sell you a nut wrench also,

many writes up in the FAQ about pulling, changing impellers and bearings.

Update your profile with your location and there might even be a member close by to lend you a nut wrench or help you in the process,

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
it's very easy but unless you were having noticeable issues I wouldn't do it,

If it's still original I'd be more concerned about doing a impeller cone bearing replacement as part of preventive maintenance rather than a impeller/wear ring, have you ever checked your impeller cone bearing ??

the only special tool you would need (but not required) would be an impeller nut wrench (probably not the official name), where ever you buy your impellers should be able to sell you a nut wrench also,

many writes up in the FAQ about pulling, changing impellers and bearings.

Update your profile with your location and there might even be a member close by to lend you a nut wrench or help you in the process,
Since I have owned it the cone bearing has not been inspected, thanks for the tip. Engines have less than 200 hours though. I will also pick up a tool you referenced as well, nice to have one on hand should something happen mid-season and a swap be required. I will dig through the FAQ's on the proper procedure and dig into the cone bearing as well. Thanks!

Madcityami

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Changed mine in July. I was expecting the worse on getting the impeller off the shaft, but it wasn't that bad. This was my setup:

IMG_4003.jpg

From left to right:
  1. neighbors 1/2" breaker bar
  2. 27mm socket
  3. shaft holder
  4. 27mm box wrench
  5. wrench extender
  6. my 1/2" breaker bar
I think most just use a big piece of pipe in place of my wrench extender/breaker bar combo, but you need a pretty wide piece of pipe to get around a 27mm pipe wrench and I personally thought I would get more use out of the extender/breaker for other things.

I've gotten good at pulling the pumps due to things I missed. For example: when you pull the nozzle, there are two obvious alignment pins. When you pull the housing/wear ring, the alignment pin is different and I didn't notice it was still in the old housings until the last bolt was tightened (maybe I didn't watch enough videos). Also, I wished I had an impact wrench or drill/driver with me at the time. Not to loosen or tighten the pump bolts, but some of the bolts have a lot of threads and you don't get a lot of socket throw in some positions.

IMG_4005.jpg

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Digging up my old thread and spring is getting closer....so is this project. I have dug around on this forum and on-line and I can't seem to fine an OEM Yamaha tool part number to hold the shaft to remove the impellor. Only thing I found was this from another member YB-06201 but no follow up. Is there a 'go-to' tool for this that every uses?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length