• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Importing a boat to colombia

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Maybe I'm not leaving this group yet lol. I am inspired by another member here that imported a AR192 to Chile a year ago Hello from Chile I am currently looking into importing a AR192 to Colombia (the newer AR195 is a few inches longer and doesn't fit in a standard 20ft freight container) The idea is that I can keep it at the marina here at the lake and rent it out for some income. This is a long shot, but anybody have experience with ocean freight? I'm already in contact with some car dealers here that import new cars and they're looking into the process of nationalization of the boat here in Colombia

Maybe I'm not leaving this group yet lol. I am inspired by another member here that imported a AR192 to Chile a year ago Hello from Chile I am currently looking into importing a AR192 to Colombia (the newer AR195 is a few inches longer and doesn't fit in a standard 20ft freight container) The idea is that I can keep it at the marina here at the lake and rent it out for some income. This is a long shot, but anybody have experience with ocean freight? I'm already in contact with some car dealers here that import new cars and they're looking into the process of nationalization of the boat here in Colombia
We ship ocean freight out of the office all the time. Lots of products going to South America in particular (Argentina seems to like us for some reason), as well as a good number of items that go to Poland and other places around Europe.

It took us a couple tries to find a good freight forwarder. This is a person, or company, that handles all of the import/export documents. We crate and package the machines for shipment. Get them dimensions, weights, special handling (this side up, no fluids, no forklift, etc) instructions, and they seemingly take care of the rest. They have us sign some documents, and then a truck shows up. We load, and away it goes. They handle all the communications with the customer on status, pickup/delivery, etc. It's not absurdly expensive either. Like we just sent a $400k machine to Poland last month. Air freight was $26k, freight forwarder cost us $3.5k to handle the logistics. I can get their name/number if you want to reach out and see if they handle personal logistics like what you're looking at.

Secondarily, I've imported a vehicle from Canada to the US. While there isn't the freight portion (I flew into the selling location and drove home), the logistics of getting the paperwork were, generally, pretty straightforward. It started with some phone calls to the local DMV where I had to escalate to find a manager, or supervisor that knew the process. From there I got a list of documents I needed. Then I called the border crossing office and got an understanding of that process and what documents I needed. I assembled all the documents I needed and made like 6 copies of each. Then, just follow the process they told me. Had one minor hiccup I wasn't expecting during the registration process, but it was quickly solved with a 3rd party (sheriffs department) inspection of the vehicle.

I've read several stories of how people have imported things from China (like Kei trucks, or little EV's, etc), and the process sounds and feels largely similar to what I've seen and experienced. It's not really difficult, but it's very specific and not immediately clear on how it works to someone that's never done it before. Lots of research ahead of time seems to help grease the wheels. Speaking of which, I wouldn't be completely surprised to see you have to "grease some palms" along the way. I've heard stories of other companies having local "fixers" they keep on the payroll to ensure smooth and easy transactions at border crossings.

Good luck brother!

We ship ocean freight out of the office all the time. Lots of products going to South America in particular (Argentina seems to like us for some reason), as well as a good number of items that go to Poland and other places around Europe.

It took us a couple tries to find a good freight forwarder. This is a person, or company, that handles all of the import/export documents. We crate and package the machines for shipment. Get them dimensions, weights, special handling (this side up, no fluids, no forklift, etc) instructions, and they seemingly take care of the rest. They have us sign some documents, and then a truck shows up. We load, and away it goes. They handle all the communications with the customer on status, pickup/delivery, etc. It's not absurdly expensive either. Like we just sent a $400k machine to Poland last month. Air freight was $26k, freight forwarder cost us $3.5k to handle the logistics. I can get their name/number if you want to reach out and see if they handle personal logistics like what you're looking at.

Secondarily, I've imported a vehicle from Canada to the US. While there isn't the freight portion (I flew into the selling location and drove home), the logistics of getting the paperwork were, generally, pretty straightforward. It started with some phone calls to the local DMV where I had to escalate to find a manager, or supervisor that knew the process. From there I got a list of documents I needed. Then I called the border crossing office and got an understanding of that process and what documents I needed. I assembled all the documents I needed and made like 6 copies of each. Then, just follow the process they told me. Had one minor hiccup I wasn't expecting during the registration process, but it was quickly solved with a 3rd party (sheriffs department) inspection of the vehicle.

I've read several stories of how people have imported things from China (like Kei trucks, or little EV's, etc), and the process sounds and feels largely similar to what I've seen and experienced. It's not really difficult, but it's very specific and not immediately clear on how it works to someone that's never done it before. Lots of research ahead of time seems to help grease the wheels. Speaking of which, I wouldn't be completely surprised to see you have to "grease some palms" along the way. I've heard stories of other companies having local "fixers" they keep on the payroll to ensure smooth and easy transactions at border crossings.

Good luck brother!

Yes please. It would help if you sent me the company's information.
My friend told me that companies usually charge 40% fee of the purchasing value, but I don't think that fee would apply to me. Because I would purchase the boat in Florida or near to Florida, register it in my state (NY), wait for the title, then coordinate with a shipper in Florida to send it to Colombia. The agency in Colombia would just have to take care of the nationalization of the boat here and I contract someone to deliver the boat from Cartagena to Guatape (google says 14hr but those roads its probably like 20+). Colombia charges 19% IVA, but I think that taxes would be less because I can declare a lower value.

The idea is that I can find a clean AR192, lake boat, for $16-18k during the off season. Even if it costs me $5-9k, the boat is worth much more here in Colombia. Currently theres a 2019 AR240 with 450hours going for 350.000.000 pesos, which at the current exchange is $87,500. If I recall right, last year I saw a AR195 selling for $45,000 USD.

I think an issue could be the IVA, that is, Colombia's "fasecolda" lists the boat at a much higher value than what I paid and I have to pay 19% IVA on their value. But I have never seen a fasecolda value on boats, just on cars. Every year they list values for cars and mine is currently 128.000.000 which I pay 3% yearly in taxes.

Yes please. It would help if you sent me the company's information.
My friend told me that companies usually charge 40% fee of the purchasing value, but I don't think that fee would apply to me. Because I would purchase the boat in Florida or near to Florida, register it in my state (NY), wait for the title, then coordinate with a shipper in Florida to send it to Colombia. The agency in Colombia would just have to take care of the nationalization of the boat here and I contract someone to deliver the boat from Cartagena to Guatape (google says 14hr but those roads its probably like 20+). Colombia charges 19% IVA, but I think that taxes would be less because I can declare a lower value.

The idea is that I can find a clean AR192, lake boat, for $16-18k during the off season. Even if it costs me $5-9k, the boat is worth much more here in Colombia. Currently theres a 2019 AR240 with 450hours going for 350.000.000 pesos, which at the current exchange is $87,500. If I recall right, last year I saw a AR195 selling for $45,000 USD.

I think an issue could be the IVA, that is, Colombia's "fasecolda" lists the boat at a much higher value than what I paid and I have to pay 19% IVA on their value. But I have never seen a fasecolda value on boats, just on cars. Every year they list values for cars and mine is currently 128.000.000 which I pay 3% yearly in taxes.
Give me a couple hours to round up some contact info. I'll PM you with the details.

How are you planning on fitting it in the container? My understanding is the interior dimensions are 7’8” - 7’9” wide.” Doesn’t the Yamaha have an 8’ beam?

Jim

On it's side it will fit in a high top 20ft container
I’ve seen this done with sailboats, but not powerboats before. Hope it works out for you.

Jim

I’ve seen this done with sailboats, but not powerboats before. Hope it works out for you.

Jim

@chileanJK in the forum had done it from Miami to Chile with a 19ft boat. I messaged him, but he hasn't been active on the forum for 1 month. Do you have contact with any of the people that have done it with sailboats? It would be helpful if they have a preferred shipper.

I contacted some businesses in Colombia. Mostly car dealers that work with importing cars, but I think are full of s**t because they say "yeah we can help you" and don't follow up. Seems they just want to make business selling my BMW through consignation and are saying whatever to win my business. But I did contact the marina here that works with a importer from Brazil and listed a new Aventura for like $80,000 USD which I think is very expensive. Years ago I met someone that is a dealer for boats called "Ventura" that lives in Brazil. I'm going to reach out and see if he can help me out.

1724326251759.png

Well, it is possible. I contacted the marina that I know at the lake and asked them. They gave me the contact of someone and he said he imported a AR192 here (shown below). I'm waiting for a quote. He says it isn't a smart idea to put the boat on its side and its better on a "breakbulk". So it means that I'm not constrained by a standard 20ft freight container. I'm thinking a 2016+ AR190 because they're cheaper, have the upgraded timing chain, and use regular gas. I think around Thanksgiving I can find 1 for about $20k.

1724386510854.jpeg

Back