• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Intake Grate

newbote

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was crawling under my boat looking for a slow leak that I found while my 2 month old boat (16 242 limited S was in the water all week in Anna Maria - and found the pic below. obviously not related to the leak. I have no idea how that broke - I am pretty confident it was not me as I would have had to have heard a strike that hard. My bet is either the fork lift (it is dry stacked) or the straps when they lifted the boat off the trailer when I bought it. Question - do you think I should push hard for the dealer to fix it? Also - how risky do you think it is to run the boat this way? I guess the biggest risk is if a large object got sucked up there.

Attachments

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would get it replaced before running in the water like that. Photo is a bit hard to see details on my notepad, but from what I do see:

a) it will probably cavitate like crazy from the induced turbulence in its current condition
b) the grate is providing less than normal protection to the impeller against ingesting a larger object
c) the grate itself or pieces of grate could come loose and get sucked into the impeller (you DO NOT want that)

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I broke one when I sucked up a rope and the anchor it was attached to (which were left by someone else in the waterway), you are right about hearing it. You would not miss the sound of the metal snapping.

newbote

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would get it replaced before running in the water like that. Photo is a bit hard to see details on my notepad, but from what I do see:

a) it will probably cavitate like crazy from the induced turbulence in its current condition
b) the grate is providing less than normal protection to the impeller against ingesting a larger object
c) the grate itself or pieces of grate could come loose and get sucked into the impeller (you DO NOT want that)
I don't think the rest has much of a chance to detach as they are very solid - I would have to hit something for them to come off I think. I also have not noticed any cavitation due to this. I have noticed the past 10 hours or so I can't seem to get over 46 MPH but have not noticed any cavitation. I hope the dealer will replace without charge but will see what they say.