• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Intermittent check engine light - how can I read codes? CanDooPro?

brian86992

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This summer I've been suffering from intermittent check engine light accompanied with the "Stop engine immediately" warning on the screen for my port motor.

Sometimes, it's in limp mode and other times the CEL is on but performance is normal.

Doing a series of power cycles will clear it and it usually stays off for the day.

It's very frustrating there's no way to see what the actual issue is on the boat. My only options seem to be waiting ages for warranty or paying for a mechanic to come out.

Is there any way I can read the codes myself? I saw the older inexpensive Yamaha Diagnostic Systems (YDS) only works up until 2013. Now I don't think consumers can get the actual Yamaha software any longer. But there may be aftermarket options. Is this the only way to go if I want to read and clear codes myself?

CanDooPro software and cable: CANDooPro - Yamaha Tool [1200] - $449.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

i have a Candoo. Great company fast shipping. if you get one don’t disconnect the tach per instructions that’s for the earlier non connext boats.

Thanks for the reply. I ordered a CandooPro yesterday. It’s a real shame Yamaha doesn’t give consumers another option to diagnose issues.

I had a similar issue last weekend... Not check engine light but the rest was the same. Seemed to be a weak house battery that was causing it. Are you only having the problem after being out and draining the battery down? I charged up the house battery and the problem went away... For now. I just got in a 3rd battery that I will be using to power my sound system from now on. Hopefully that keeps the problem away.

Battery voltage should be fine. I keep it on a trickle charger when it's stored and this was the start of the day.

I have found a correlation between running the motors out of water (while the fresh water flush is hooked up and flowing) and some sort of error though.

Interested to see what the code scan will show.

Before your CanDoo gets there you might want to find the diagnostic plugs. Mine were behind the helm but Yamaha puts them all over the place.

You can get the code in the Connext screen by holding down the settings button. Not sure if that’s what you're looking for.

You can get the code in the Connext screen by holding down the settings button. Not sure if that’s what you're looking for.
I bought mine because that screen was not showing any codes.

Before your CanDoo gets there you might want to find the diagnostic plugs. Mine were behind the helm but Yamaha puts them all over the place.

I did have trouble with this. While the CandooPro user manual stated the 3 pin diagnostic plug would be under the helm, I only found a 4 pin plug in there. The three pin plugs (one for each engine) were inside the engine compartment near where the wiring harness exits on the port side.

This would definitely be news to me. Any more info on this?

I was able to pull codes from my port motor for accelerator position sensor (old codes from 70 hours ago when I was installing my RideSteady) and the recent code which was Electronic Throttle System. I checked the connections and tightened up the throttle module as it was loose on its mount. So we will see if that fixes the issue.

It kind of hurt to spend $450 just to have insight into my motor parameters but I do feel better knowing I have this capability at home for anything else that comes up now.

IMG_3526.JPG
IMG_3523.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3526.JPG
    IMG_3526.JPG
    499.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3523.JPG
    IMG_3523.JPG
    388.5 KB · Views: 2
Dealers want $450 to hook up and diagnose. So if you already had a windows lap top it already paid for itself.

Back