• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Intermittent Starting Issues

D.Stowe

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I purchased a Sea-Doo M2 Jet Drive 210hp a couple months ago and got to use it twice before the problems started. We took it out one day, everything was fine, pumped up the tube and then it wouldn't start. Got it towed off the water and was told it needed a starter ($100) so replaced that. Started fine, yay. Took it out again no issues. Next time we went out, pumped up the tube and it wouldn't start again. Pulled it off the water and next day it started. Found a loose ground wire and reattached it, thought that fixed it because it started again. But after one day of working properly it went out and stopped starting. Found it wasn't getting fire but I left it at the dock that night. Next morning it started fine. Ran fine all day. Always runs great when it starts. Getting plenty of fuel also. Took it out this past Friday and it started when I got it off the trailer. Pulled out of the cove, pumped up the tube and it wouldn't start again. Had a friend towing me in and I banged on the dash out of frustration (and to be funny) and suddenly it starts again. But we couldn't find any bare or loose wires in the dash. Started fine all day Saturday but then Sunday it quit again. And now even after sitting for a day, still nothing. No spark on the right side at all but there is spark on the left side now. New issue came up it now tries to crank over when it's in gear. Never would before and it will only do it a couple cranks before the safety will finally kick in and then it'll only beep. Not sure if it's the same issue with a new symptom or a whole new issue. My brother and best guy friend are way more mechanically inclined than I am, however they aren't extremely familiar with these motors. I don't want to throw money and parts into something we're all just guessing about. I haven't found a mechanic around here locally willing to touch it yet so I'm hoping you can give me some ideas or tests to try before I Bust Out Another Thousand 😳

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Not a Seadoo owner but have some familiarity with the Merc's, Sugar Sand used them also, I have a 240. On the 210 if you have spark on 1 bank only I would suspect a switch box. There are 2 stacked on the port side,1 for each bank. Could also be a stator going bad, located under the flywheel. Gonna need a service manual for all the specs and checks, can be found on flea-bay and other places

D.Stowe

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you! I found the service manual last night and am going to go down the ignition check list testing everything in order. The manual says probable cause is stator or switch box also.

D.Stowe

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In case anyone else has the same issue, I pulled the stator and tested it again (still tested bad on the blue wire). New stator and it's starting every time again!