• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ironton, OH Boat Ramp- Ohio River

Sealegs89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Purchasing an sx230 towards the end of the season.Does anyone use the launch ramp in Ironton, OH to access the River? Lots of nice courtesy docks and a wide ramp. Was just curious if anyone had experience there, or any advice for a boater with little experience that will mainly be running the Ohio River. Thanks!

Sealegs89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also would like any advice about going through the locks in the area.

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We used to use Little Sandy in Greenup all the time. I did use Ashland occasionally and always hated the drift factor from the current. It has been decades and I never used the Ironton ramp but I can tell you it will be easier if you can find a ramp off the Ohio in a tributary.

Going through the locks can take an hour one way. If they are busy with barges and you are the only pleasure boat, it can take some time before they care about you. Otherwise it is very simple.
Pull up to lock. If closed pull the chain for the horn. Once they open the gate and everyone is out, you go in and tie up to a can. You then sit there and wait until they close the gate, add or remove water, and open the other end. You then exit the lock and go about you business.

Sealegs89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ll have to look around my area for a ramp at a tributary. Lots of ramps scattered along the Ohio, but some aren’t well taken care of and are filled with debris. Looking forward to boating over to Huntington and Ashland. Both of the main public docks have easy access to restaurants downtown.