• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

is the 400lbs weight difference noticble between S VS SD models 25ft series

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
was wondering if anyone has been in or drove both ? im assuming the extra 400lbs is going to cost a few mph ...

thnx

Top speed won't be affected by weight much, the bigger effect is the permanent bimini. With that being said, my SE gets to about 47 in salt water. I find it hard to believe there is a 400lb difference though, might want to double check those numbers.

Top speed won't be affected by weight much, the bigger effect is the permanent bimini. With that being said, my SE gets to about 47 in salt water. I find it hard to believe there is a 400lb difference though, might want to double check those numbers.

Yes here are the numbers !
252S 4149 Lbs
252 SE 4553 lbs
252SD 4612 Lbs

Yes here are the numbers !
252S 4149 Lbs
252 SE 4553 lbs
252SD 4612 Lbs

and based off this I think the S Model wich has everything the SE, SD have minus throttle by wire and push button start , and in SD hydrolic steering
is the best bang for the buck in terms of performance and speed if your SE hits 47 i would assume the S will hit 50-52 mph with the wieght differnce , i mean is the extra large tower really worth it ? does it shade the boat that much more ? than smaller tower and canvas ?

I can’t say but I love my Bimini it is huge and is a million times more important than weight or speed. I rarely go above 40, let alone full throttle. Most my cruising speed is around 30mph. The electronic throttles are very nice as well. I think there are a few other upgrades you get too.

If I were buying one of these and wanted the "drive" technology, I would never let 400lbs sway me. That's like leaving two of your buddies at the dock. That is a non issue on a boat of this size.

Better yet, get in the habit of leaving two buddies at the dock and grab two honeys that weigh half as much. Win/win

was wondering if anyone has been in or drove both ? im assuming the extra 400lbs is going to cost a few mph ...
Hydrodynamic drag from the water to hull interface is mostly what causes loss of top speed, weight is less of a factor. Expect all of the 252 models to perform about the same. Get the one that suits you best - if the drive feature is something you want, get it.

We have the 212s with the same engines and even though our boat weighs much less at 3600 lbs dry, it still only achieves 53 mph. Jet pumps are not quite as efficient as props for top speed, and there's only one way to go faster - more raw HP. There's a reason the 2,000 hp boats can hit 120+ mph.
:)

This is the very reason most have not spent piles of money on HP increases, or weight savings, as the cost benefit will not be realized. A few HP or a few pounds have so little effect. Especially, as others have pointed out, the amount of time you spend at WOT is so little, many will never know they lost 2-3mph even if they did.

Max I have seen on my 252S is 46 MPG. That's in salt water.

Back