• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is this a bad idea?

DontSink

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I'm new to boating, looking for something to run in local lakes pulling kids in a tub, or wake surfing, and brief trips in some brackish water of the Puget Sound (to access a wildlife reserve island that is awesome for exploring tidepools with the kids, and one of the few actually sandy beaches around.. but I digress)

Searching through Craigslist I found a suspiciously cheap Yamaha 1999 LS (see link below). I've done the bare minimum of google searching trying to learn about Yamaha jet boats, and trying to gauge how expensive/difficult those motors are to work on. I haven't really any experience with 2stroke motors since a brief summer with a Honda CR-125 dirtbike 25 years ago, or anything on the jet drive, but I could confidently rebuild a small block V8..

My questions...
What would this boat be like in rougher water on Puget Sound's coasts,
How awful would the jet drive be with corrosion due to occasional salt?
Any precautions to the cooling system for salt water?
Is this a bad idea? And some old Inboard outboard would be a better starter boat?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I guess the question is: what does he mean by "one motor needs tinkering..."

Like, new plugs? Top end replacement? Or full motor replacement.

For your purposes, and while jets are awesome, I would be looking for something 20+ feet with a Yamaha outboard hanging off the back.