• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Is this the right boat for me?

Ribs77

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey all,

I'm a total boat noob, but I've been researching for a few years now, and everything has led me here. Here's where I'm at.

- I'm looking for a family boat that seats at least 8 people (4 in our family plus guests) (check)
- I want the ability to wakesurf in addition to other watersports like wakeboarding and pulling tubes, etc. So that means outboards are a no-go (check)
- On the lighter side would be better as my tow vehicle is a Toyota Highlander (check)
- Budget is TBD, but I can't really imagine more than about 35k (check?)

Here are some outstanding questions I have.

- I live near Lake Washington (5 minutes to two different public boat ramps). The water is calm and generally great for water sports, but I'm reading reports of vegetation and debris being a potential problem with jet boats in general. I assume they keep that cleared out at the public boat launches, but is it something I need to be concerned about in this lake?
- I'd also like to use the boat in the Puget Sound. The water there can be rougher, but I don't plan on going out in major chop. Any handling issues in open water like that?
- Anything else I'm not thinking about that I should consider?

Would I be better off with a used inboard or i/o boat, or does a jetboat seem right for me?

Thanks!

I live in Washington as well - Liberty Lake (other side of the state). I have had zero issues with debris and the jet pump. I think it is grossly overstated.

I surf on my AR195, and although it is no towboat, it is still pretty fun. Just a few mods to do in order to make it right (Ridesteady, big ballast bags, Yamaha Wake Wedge). Tubing is awesome, and the kids love it.

Inboard would be a great option, but it sounds like you don't want to spend $100,000 (I don't blame you). Long term I think I will do an inboard when my kids get bigger, but the AR195 is a blast right now and works great for us.

On the chop - I am pretty impressed with how the boat handles. Also - I grew up in the boating industry. My dad was a Cobalt dealer most of my life, so I have been in a lot of boats. The 19 foot Yamaha feel bigger than 19 and drive bigger as well.

They have their shortcomings and issues, but overall the Yamaha is a great package, especially for a noob :)

My 190 handles open water very well for a 19 footer. I boat in coastal area and river and have had no issues with seaweed, etc. Cant speak about water sports. Boat is super easy to launch and retrieve and trailer. Would not recommend it for 8 people unless they are midgets!!!

I live in Washington as well - Liberty Lake (other side of the state). I have had zero issues with debris and the jet pump. I think it is grossly overstated.

I surf on my AR195, and although it is no towboat, it is still pretty fun. Just a few mods to do in order to make it right (Ridesteady, big ballast bags, Yamaha Wake Wedge). Tubing is awesome, and the kids love it.

Inboard would be a great option, but it sounds like you don't want to spend $100,000 (I don't blame you). Long term I think I will do an inboard when my kids get bigger, but the AR195 is a blast right now and works great for us.

On the chop - I am pretty impressed with how the boat handles. Also - I grew up in the boating industry. My dad was a Cobalt dealer most of my life, so I have been in a lot of boats. The 19 foot Yamaha feel bigger than 19 and drive bigger as well.

They have their shortcomings and issues, but overall the Yamaha is a great package, especially for a noob :)

Cool, thank you for the info!

Did you have those mods done professionally or did you do 'em yourself? I've got some experience tinkering with my motorcycle, but I figure I probably want boat stuff in the hands of a professional.

$100,000 is definitely out of the range of possibility! I was thinking more like a used inboard. I have a friend who has a slightly larger Ski Nautique, maybe 23-foot? It's old but it's obviously good for watersports - maybe something like that.

Of course, I'd rather have something new or newer, but mainly I want to be on the water with my family.

My 190 handles open water very well for a 19 footer. I boat in coastal area and river and have had no issues with seaweed, etc. Cant speak about water sports. Boat is super easy to launch and retrieve and trailer. Would not recommend it for 8 people unless they are midgets!!!

Ooh, hmm. Well, half of those people would usually be kids. Mine are 9 and 7, and would probably have another family with two in a similar age range.

Of course, those kids are all gonna be teens in no time. So, 8 full-size people might be a stretch, huh?

Ooh, hmm. Well, half of those people would usually be kids. Mine are 9 and 7, and would probably have another family with two in a similar age range.

Of course, those kids are all gonna be teens in no time. So, 8 full-size people might be a stretch, huh?
We have had 4 adults and two teens and that was enough for me, love the boat but imho you wouldn't be comfortable with that many people..good luck in your search.

If you can find yourself one of the 23 yamahas in good shape then that might be better for you. Holds 10 but that would be sort of cramped. 8 would be good. The mr1 motors are about bullet proof. Boat is all still mechanical so easy and cheap to work on. A really primo one would be in your price range.

I think you are going to have a tow vehicle issue if you go much bigger than 19 foot boats. I/o are quite a bit heavier than a jet boat. Lightweight is one of the big advantages of a jet.

I think you are barking up the right tree for a 19 foot Yamaha. We love ours!

I just spent a week on a lake that is full of seaweed and the deepest part of the lake is 13feet. I never had one issue with weeds.

Hey, welcome.

I have a 2020 SX 190 and 8 people would be awfully cramped. I find the max number of adults for comfort is 5 or 6. I paid 29k plus tax for mine in May of this year. There was nothing comparable from other manufacturers within 10k.

We are out every weekend having a blast. I would have no qualms taking this 19' boat from Florida to Bimini. Don't spend too much money on a toy that you'll use for 3-4 months of the year. Also factor in whether you can store it on your property or in a garage. If you have to store at a marina you will be spending a lot of money.

Back