• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

It is Time to Replace Batteries!

GoodCubanito

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, after 5 years my factory batteries are due to been replaced. I can't ask for more... any recommendation on which batteries to purchase and if there is a preferred place to buy them from?

Thanks a lot! Stay safe!

Well, after 5 years my factory batteries are due to been replaced. I can't ask for more... any recommendation on which batteries to purchase and if there is a preferred place to buy them from?

Thanks a lot! Stay safe!
Were your factory batteries the green Interstate ones? 5 years is a long time for a place with both hot and cold extremes.

Were your factory batteries the green Interstate ones? 5 years is a long time for a place with both hot and cold extremes.
AZMark, I bought the boat last year... and yes, they are the green Interstate ones. Previous owner confirmed those are the factory ones.... so, any recommendations?

AZMark, I bought the boat last year... and yes, they are the green Interstate ones. Previous owner confirmed those are the factory ones.... so, any recommendations?
I'm in the same position. Thinking of replacing either now or next Spring, so will be watching the advice here.

Mine have been on shore-powered charger all their lives, but 5 years is a long time. I'm tempted to keep them for another year but it's probably pushing my luck.

Thanks a lot! Stay safe!
What are you looking to spend?

If you got 5 years out of them - stick with the same.
This is probably what I will do as mine also has the green Interstates.
I’ve bought several brands of AGM batteries for my vehicles and none of them last 5 years here with the heat.

Odd my batteries were installed late 2014 and I see no sign of them needing replacement.
Are there any signs of their immenent demise ?

Odd my batteries were installed late 2014 and I see no sign of them needing replacement.
I brought home my battery tester from work and both of mine still show 100% on the test. Currently starting my 6th season with them. But looking to replacement maybe next year. They are always plugged into the Genius automatic charger.

A couple of thoughts:
1) Costco has a fine battery for the price. Lasted me 18-24 mos.-ish, but one died when it came loose, I hit some chop and I believe the plates separated. I don't think it was the batterie's fault. The one that didn't come loose was fine. I replaced both because I went with...
2) West Marine had a sale on AGM's. I usually find West Marine overpriced, but when they are trying to get rid of something, they are very effective at it. Got them delivered free and at a cost that didn't make me run back to Costco.

When i do replace them, i most likely will go with interstate, i can order the exact model i want through our Battery supplier. Toyota batteries are actually black interstate batteries with stickers on them. Our cheap line are just that, Cheap and die quickly. The higher end Truestart are pretty good.
So i can get great quality Interstate Marine batteries for cost. Just have to let the driver know to get them on the truck when i want them

I brought home my battery tester from work and both of mine still show 100% on the test. Currently starting my 6th season with them. But looking to replacement maybe next year. They are always plugged into the Genius automatic charger.
Same here!

Nope... not at all, but I am getting a beeping alarm every 15 minutes or so and dealer mentioned it could be battery since nothing else shows up faulty on their tests.

Nope... not at all, but I am getting a beeping alarm every 15 minutes or so and dealer mentioned it could be battery since nothing else shows up faulty on their tests.
I would not wait. These boats are very finicky when it comes to low voltage issues, and there are many. It is just not worth it.
Most new boats are like that, the new electronics do not seem to fair well without sufficient, stable voltage.

Any advantage with those Lithium ones? Besides the increased risk of fire.
For a day use pleasurecraft? Probably not. The main advantage of Lithium are energy density (weight less for same capacity) and faster charge. This is great in a 40 foot sailboat at anchor for a week, but not worth the expense for a boat that is only used for the day.

I 2nd the costco deep cycle or marine hybrid recommendation.

Last edited:
For a day use pleasurecraft? Probably not. The main advantage of Lithium are energy density (weight less for same capacity) and faster charge. This is great in an40 foot sailboat at anchor for a week, but not worth the expense for a boat that is only used for the day.

I 2nd the costco deep cycle or marine hybrid recommendation.
Yet, lithium batteries are not generally recommended with engine alternators (to charge lithium batteries) due to the differences in alternator specs not falling in the range of the battery management systems specifications.

I personally wouldn't want to mess with it in a YBJ, known to be somewhat finicky with voltages and throwing random codes. Other than as a separate system for trolling motors where 36V Li would make perfect sense.

--

Back