• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet Boating Ocean City, MD

Cobra2806

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Switch
Boat Length
Hey, anyone have experience with jet boats in Ocean City, MD? I have a 21ft Sea Doo Switch and planning a visit to OC, MD. I'm looking at nautical maps and it seems very shallow in the bay behind OC and Assateague. I'd like to do some tubing, wakeboarding, fishing. Has anyone done this there? Is there a good location with a little bit of depth? Also considering going out the inlet. Has anyone done that?

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I’ve been out on my WaveRunner there several times. I have seen multiple (mostly rental) pontoons get stuck when traveling 15+MPH. Just, bang, dead stop. Then they get out and it’s like ankle deep. Almost impossible to tell with the color of the water and lack of clarity.

I have a chartplotter on my WaveRunner that I installed specifically to take it to OC after hearing it was incredibly shallow. I would say that it is almost a must, especially if you want to go down to the inlet. There are some areas where the water is a mile wide but the actual channel is like 50’ wide and it changes depths in an absolute hurry. Even up near Delaware, the river is like a mile plus wide but it’s like 2-3’ in many areas. Plenty for a jet boat but it’s just very interesting that it appears to be a large body of water yet it is so shallow.

All that being said, it is a GREAT place to have a boat. I love taking my WaveRunner there. I did go out of the inlet once, and growing up in the Great Lakes I’ve seen some big waves but man that scared the hell outta me and I didn’t last long before turning around. Those waves are enormous, you don’t jump over them, it’s like going down hill and even on a pretty calm day they were easily over my handlebars. There is so much water there though you don’t even need to go into the ocean to spend all day riding around.

Cobra2806

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Switch
Boat Length
Thank you for the information. I've been looking at nautical maps and see it's incredibly shallow. Very deceiving indeed.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thank you for the information. I've been looking at nautical maps and see it's incredibly shallow. Very deceiving indeed.
If you pay attention and follow other boats once you get down towards the inlet, you should be fine in a jet. If you don’t have a chartplotter, you can download one of the apps for your phone and try to monitor things that way. It’s probably okay once you know your way around but for someone new it’s tricky. Around Assateague seems mostly okay and well marked, the main concern is the no wake zone and immediately north of it.

TommyMcK

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
It's fine to operate there, but watersports in that area isn't super duper. Plenty of fishing options if you pay attention to the charts.

OCDoug

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I’ve been Jet boating in Ocean City for 12 years with very few issues with shallow water. Sand bars are usually easily seen. Worst one I ran onto at night, took a couple simple rocks of the boat and came right off. I have seen many a pontoon hit them with not so much luck.

Emptytemples

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey, anyone have experience with jet boats in Ocean City, MD? I have a 21ft Sea Doo Switch and planning a visit to OC, MD. I'm looking at nautical maps and it seems very shallow in the bay behind OC and Assateague. I'd like to do some tubing, wakeboarding, fishing. Has anyone done this there? Is there a good location with a little bit of depth? Also considering going out the inlet. Has anyone done that?
Hey Cobra,

That is where I do the majority of boating. OC is a very fun place to boat. Ton of restaurants by water, sandbars and area for water sports.
DM me and let me know when you are in the area and will try to meet up.

Saint Martin River is usually a good spot for some wakeboarding, tubing etc especially earlier in the morning before it gets chopped up by boat wakes. I used to wakeboard and stuff behind assateague when I was younger and had less reservations about my general well being. . . I wouldn't recommend it as the channels are tighter and people these days you just sadly cannot trust on the water. If you must go over there for water sports, earlier in the morning may be better.

Do you have depth finder and/or GPS on the boat? you shouldn't have issue getting around if so. Channels are clearly marked and GPS just makes it that much easier. There isn't much area on all the bays in OC area that our boats cannot get through on plane. Watch the channel outside of Bahia/Fish Tales as it gets tight and shallow there. They moved the 6knot buoys this year as well so just keep an eye on them and don't speed through those areas and you'll be fine. 6 knots in channel north of RT 50 bridge to inlet and behind Assateague. There is a nasty sandbar between Assateague and Sunset Marina that really got worse this year. Watch out for that at low tide but still a slow speed area.

Fishing behind Assateage can be good but I haven't fished much since I was younger on my center console. Fishing RT 50 bridge can be good but try not to drag the bottom or you'll get snagged on everything. Channel/area near Fish Tales, Thorofare, inlet are some spots to research.

Going out of the inlet is awesome to see OC from Ocean side or cruise down Assateague on that side. If you get a real nice day, calm enough for your boat, you can cruise up to Indian River Inlet to explore even more. There is a good restaurant over there to eat and take a break at before heading back. Its called Paradise Grill.

That should get you started. Have fun exploring and let me know if you have any questions or need more advice with something.

johhnyboat

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey Cobra,

That is where I do the majority of boating. OC is a very fun place to boat. Ton of restaurants by water, sandbars and area for water sports.

Saint Martin River is usually a good spot for some wakeboarding, tubing etc especially earlier in the morning before it gets chopped up by boat wakes. I used to wakeboard and stuff behind assateague when I was younger and had less reservations about my general well being. . . I wouldn't recommend it as the channels are tighter and people these days you just sadly cannot trust on the water. If you must go over there for water sports, earlier in the morning may be better.

Do you have depth finder and/or GPS on the boat? you shouldn't have issue getting around if so. Channels are clearly marked and GPS just makes it that much easier. There isn't much area on all the bays in OC area that our boats cannot get through on plane. Watch the channel outside of Bahia/Fish Tales as it gets tight and shallow there. They moved the 6knot buoys this year as well so just keep an eye on them and don't speed through those areas and you'll be fine. 6 knots in channel north of RT 50 bridge to inlet and behind Assateague. There is a nasty sandbar between Assateague and Sunset Marina that really got worse this year. Watch out for that at low tide but still a slow speed area.

Fishing behind Assateage can be good but I haven't fished much since I was younger on my center console. Fishing RT 50 bridge can be good but try not to drag the bottom or you'll get snagged on everything. Channel/area near Fish Tales, Thorofare, inlet are some spots to research.

Going out of the inlet is awesome to see OC from Ocean side or cruise down Assateague on that side. If you get a real nice day, calm enough for your boat, you can cruise up to Indian River Inlet to explore even more. There is a good restaurant over there to eat and take a break at before heading back. Its called Paradise Grill.

That should get you started. Have fun exploring and let me know if you have any questions or need more advice with something.
I'll echo this, I live in OC. Good idea to have a chart plotter. You are pretty safe in most places but it is shallow outside of the channels. I usually stay on the Assateague side to keep away from the renters, but if you go up to the St. Martin's river area you could do some tubing and wakeboarding. I really would not do it anywhere else since the channel is narrow and people can't really avoid you or who you are towing.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you are keeping the boat on the trailer, you can also come up to Rehoboth/Indian Bay for the day.

Jim

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I know OCMD has many waterfront restaurants bayside but how many have docks? Several seem too shallow to approach by boat. Also, what public ramp do you recommend? I noticed there is only 1 ramp on the island so I figured another ramp would be preferred.

Hey Cobra,

Emptytemples

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know OCMD has many waterfront restaurants bayside but how many have docks? Several seem too shallow to approach by boat. Also, what public ramp do you recommend? I noticed there is only 1 ramp on the island so I figured another ramp would be preferred.
Many have docks. Here's a list of some good ones starting north to south and not in particular favorite or preferred order. Catch 54, harpoon Hannah's, tail chasers, mackys, seacrets, 45th st taphouse, shottis point, blu raw bar/embers, fish tales, reel inn, lazy lizard, M.r. ducks, Harborside, sunset grille, shark on the harbor, and ocean pines yacht club which is on the west side of the bay. All have more than enough water. You can sneak into a few other spots but for the out of towner those are perfect and likely won't get to them all. There are others with docks but get a little shallow. Out boats can handle but I'd stay away if your first time visiting.

Boat ramps, 64th ish street is a fine ramp, pay to park, has two lanes, and is usually not busy. I've seen maybe one or two in a line before. Holidays might be busier but I'm usually not there holidays.
The other is West Ocean City Boat Ramp · Ocean City, Maryland west ocean city. Drops you in by these southern restaurants, assateague etc. Both are good options.
If you are staying in Ocean pines, they have a ramp, not sure if it's public access. There are other ramps but these are perfect. The others are in shallow water or private. Just got back, both times I used the mid town ramp I didn't have to wait for anyone.

Happy exploring.

Ps the sandbar by assateague is getting worse. Stay close to jetty in the channel. Otherwise stay close to houses and bulkhead if going to sunset or Harborside.

Pss. Don't be a butthead and drive on plane between the 6 knot buoys on the south end of where boats anchor at assateage and the north end at 14th st. That whole area is no wake zone.

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Many have docks. Here's a list of some good ones starting north to south and not in particular favorite or preferred order. Catch 54, harpoon Hannah's, tail chasers, mackys, seacrets, 45th st taphouse, shottis point, blu raw bar/embers, fish tales, reel inn, lazy lizard, M.r. ducks, Harborside, sunset grille, shark on the harbor, and ocean pines yacht club which is on the west side of the bay. All have more than enough water. You can sneak into a few other spots but for the out of towner those are perfect and likely won't get to them all. There are others with docks but get a little shallow. Out boats can handle but I'd stay away if your first time visiting.

Boat ramps, 64th ish street is a fine ramp, pay to park, has two lanes, and is usually not busy. I've seen maybe one or two in a line before. Holidays might be busier but I'm usually not there holidays.
The other is West Ocean City Boat Ramp · Ocean City, Maryland west ocean city. Drops you in by these southern restaurants, assateague etc. Both are good options.
If you are staying in Ocean pines, they have a ramp, not sure if it's public access. There are other ramps but these are perfect. The others are in shallow water or private. Just got back, both times I used the mid town ramp I didn't have to wait for anyone.

Happy exploring.

Ps the sandbar by assateague is getting worse. Stay close to jetty in the channel. Otherwise stay close to houses and bulkhead if going to sunset or Harborside.

Pss. Don't be a butthead and drive on plane between the 6 knot buoys on the south end of where boats anchor at assateage and the north end at 14th st. That whole area is no wake zone.
Great feedback and advice, thanks! I didn't think I could take my Yamaha 195S on my trip this August. We are staying at Aloft and I didn't see any good place to keep the trailer. Do you know of a good transient marina that I could pay to keep the boat in a slip and the trailer parked for the week? I also noticed the Assateague Boat Ramp seemed to have the most parking spaces, is the a ramp you have ever used? Thanks again.

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Great feedback and advice, thanks! I didn't think I could take my Yamaha 195S on my trip this August. We are staying at Aloft and I didn't see any good place to keep the trailer. Do you know of a good transient marina that I could pay to keep the boat in a slip and the trailer parked for the week? I also noticed the Assateague Boat Ramp seemed to have the most parking spaces, is the a ramp you have ever used? Thanks again.

Happy exploring.

Also wanted to ask if the OCMD bay is so shallow that you have to stay in the channel all the time, or are there spots that are deep enough to cruise around freely?

Emptytemples

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am not familiar with the Assateage boat ramp and it is so far out of the way. Personally I wouldn't go out of my way when the ramp at 64th st is right there. Call and find out how much parking is there and if you can leave boat on trailer there. If not, there is a muni lot at 100th st you can pay 50 bucks for the week or 10 bucks a day. It is a little tight but I just backed my trailer into a spot and I have the 25' and an f250. As I brush my fingernails on my shirt:cool: . . . Even if you have to unhook and push the trailer around into a spot you will be able to fit the trailer in there. Obviously without boat on the trailer if you needed to do that.

Slips will be expensive and if you are down there for White Marlin week fuggettabout ittt. You can try Bahia Marina, Advanced Marina, Ocean Pines Marina, Pines Point Marina, and anyone else you might be able to find. You can also look around there may be residents or slip rentals outside of the marinas. I would say leaving the boat home is a mistake because you can almost park your car the entire vacation if you wanted and do most by boat. Dry dock is insane unless you want to spend 5k. There are also places like Racetrack Marine who offer parking at like 90 bucks for the week. A bit out of the way though obviously but might be able to find places like that. Best bet is muni lot at 100th st.

You can cruise around freely. Stay in channels south of 32nd st and behind assateage. Isle of Wight North of 32nd, St Martins River and Assawoman bays are deep enough. the 195s need like 1 foot of water. I just had my 250 about 200' off of Sunset Island by 64th St ramp the other day. Most of the bay is at least 4' deep. There are some shallow spots near shorelines obviously.

Edit: I also just thought of this but the Racetrack MArine is right by Gum Point Rd and the small boat ramp I suggested. I used to wakeboard back in that area when I was younger because it is so calm. But pretty shallow and mucky. Our boats don't have an issue back here. I was back there cruising on Saturday or Sunday last week.

Last edited:

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I am not familiar with the Assateage boat ramp and it is so far out of the way. Personally I wouldn't go out of my way when the ramp at 64th st is right there. Call and find out how much parking is there and if you can leave boat on trailer there. If not, there is a muni lot at 100th st you can pay 50 bucks for the week or 10 bucks a day. It is a little tight but I just backed my trailer into a spot and I have the 25' and an f250. As I brush my fingernails on my shirt:cool: . . . Even if you have to unhook and push the trailer around into a spot you will be able to fit the trailer in there. Obviously without boat on the trailer if you needed to do that.

Slips will be expensive and if you are down there for White Marlin week fuggettabout ittt. You can try Bahia Marina, Advanced Marina, Ocean Pines Marina, Pines Point Marina, and anyone else you might be able to find. You can also look around there may be residents or slip rentals outside of the marinas. I would say leaving the boat home is a mistake because you can almost park your car the entire vacation if you wanted and do most by boat. Dry dock is insane unless you want to spend 5k. There are also places like Racetrack Marine who offer parking at like 90 bucks for the week. A bit out of the way though obviously but might be able to find places like that. Best bet is muni lot at 100th st.

You can cruise around freely. Stay in channels south of 32nd st and behind assateage. Isle of Wight North of 32nd, St Martins River and Assawoman bays are deep enough. the 195s need like 1 foot of water. I just had my 250 about 200' off of Sunset Island by 64th St ramp the other day. Most of the bay is at least 4' deep. There are some shallow spots near shorelines obviously.

Edit: I also just thought of this but the Racetrack MArine is right by Gum Point Rd and the small boat ramp I suggested. I used to wakeboard back in that area when I was younger because it is so calm. But pretty shallow and mucky. Our boats don't have an issue back here. I was back there cruising on Saturday or Sunday last week.
On Google Maps, the parking lot at 64th St looked limited, that's what had me reluctant. But I'll give it a try. Thanks.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
On Google Maps, the parking lot at 64th St looked limited, that's what had me reluctant. But I'll give it a try. Thanks.
It does look really small on the satellite view. I’ve launched my WaveRunner there several times over the past few years and have never seen the lot more than half full. I’ve even launched on weekends and it’s still plenty available. Great ramp.