• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet ski with MR-1 HO motor

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any one know what skis have the MR-1 HO motors? I have a motor sitting around, and if I can find a ski that the motor will fit in, that would be beneficial.

Thanks!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know the 2005-2008 FX HO had the engine. There may be others.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm pretty sure the fx160s and vx110 ho's. I'm not sure if they made older fx140 HOs. It should for in any mr1 ski.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any one know what skis have the MR-1 HO motors? I have a motor sitting around, and if I can find a ski that the motor will fit in, that would be beneficial.

Thanks!
I was looking for months for a ski that had the non-ho engine out here on the west coast. I did find a ski that your engine would fit in, but the shipping would probably kill the deal. Let me know if you want a link to the Craigslist add.

Im not an expert on every model of waverunner. When I was searching, I t seemed like any ski with 110 or 1100 in the model were non-ho skis. Any ski with 140 was the 140 hp ho engine and 160 was the 160 hp ho engine model. The easiest way to tell on an add is to look at a pic of the engine. All three have very distinct differences. On a non-ho, the airbox sits to the side of the engine compartment and you'll be looking right at the top of the valve cover.

As for the 140 & 160 I'm not 100% sure what the airboxes look like. But they do sit on top of the engine and hide the valve cover.

Hope that helps.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I believe the Non-HO motors have a MR-1 in gray and the HO motors have MR-1 in color on the airbox. I'm trying to keep this local and I'm in no hurry to make it happen, but thanks.

Paul

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A had an fx140 and have an fx160 both o6s. The 140had a black air filter cover and the 160 a grey one. The mr1 came in the early fx (like 03) to about 2009. The 110 version came in the vx line from from the year they were introduced in the mid 2000s.

I think the spare engine will fit right into any of the above hulls But would be more concerned about compatibility with the ecu.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was looking for months for a ski that had the non-ho engine out here on the west coast. I did find a ski that your engine would fit in, but the shipping would probably kill the deal. Let me know if you want a link to the Craigslist add.

Im not an expert on every model of waverunner. When I was searching, I t seemed like any ski with 110 or 1100 in the model were non-ho skis. Any ski with 140 was the 140 hp ho engine and 160 was the 160 hp ho engine model. The easiest way to tell on an add is to look at a pic of the engine. All three have very distinct differences. On a non-ho, the airbox sits to the side of the engine compartment and you'll be looking right at the top of the valve cover.

As for the 140 & 160 I'm not 100% sure what the airboxes look like. But they do sit on top of the engine and hide the valve cover.

Hope that helps.
I don't think that is accurate. My 04 ar230 has the non ho (std 998cc, 140hp) and the air box is on top. The ho is the 1052cc 160hp. My 03 fx140 had the non ho 998cc 140hp with the air box on top. You need to pull the air filter and check the cc for ho vs non ho. The picture is of the fx140 engine.

Attachments

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think that is accurate. My 04 ar230 has the non ho (std 998cc, 140hp) and the air box is on top. The ho is the 1052cc 160hp. My 03 fx140 had the non ho 998cc 140hp with the air box on top. You need to pull the air filter and check the cc for ho vs non ho. The picture is of the fx140 engine.
You're probably right. I've always looked at the 140 hp engines as ho too. Sorry about that.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Both of my skis had/have the air filter on top. Ive heard of guys replacing engines with the same model engine (e.g 160 to 160 hp) but not using ecus from skis with different hp motors.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Both of my skis had/have the air filter on top. Ive heard of guys replacing engines with the same model engine (e.g 160 to 160 hp) but not using ecus from skis with different hp motors.
It's mandatory to use the ecu from the donor vehicle is changing cc / hp.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Jgorm , what you stated is both true and false. That is, some have been sucessul using ecus from the same model skis but from a different model year even though the part numbers on the ecus do not match.

I know from recent experience in that the ecu in my fx140 went bad, i could not find an exact replacment and i sold the ski rather than pay $1,200 for a new ecu. They guy i sold it to put in an ecu from an older fx140 and it worked fine. Had i known it would work i would jot have sold that ski for ad litttle as i did.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie you missed the part where I said if changing hp or cc's. Same hp and cc's can interchange ecu's (probably). The fuel rail and sensor is different between my non ho mr1s. The jet ski also has a steering input sensor that would need to be dealt with it swapping into a boat. (It holds the iac valve open if turning). I don't think the boats have that, but I'm not really sure.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Got it, i still feel stupid about selling that ski before buying and trying a used ecu from another model year. At the time i already had $300 in diagnostic fees into it so ...

Not sure what an iac valve is but i would i wonder if the boats' electrical boxes have a rollover sensor like the skis do? Probably not but would not be surprised if there is a blank spot for the sensor in the boats' boxes.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
When I run the YDS on my boat it shows an input for the rollover sensor. I am not sure if it is a forced input or an actual switch. Fortunately I have never seen it's position change.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The iac is the idle air controller. It bypass the throttle bodies on cable throttles to allow the engine to idle at different rpms depending on ecu requirements. Drive by wire / electronic throttle vehicles don't have them.