• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JL Audio amp question.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I get an m800/8 and hook up 6 speaker with 7&8 bridged for a 10” sub will the amp be over working all the time? I’m just trying to get tunes I can hear while driving and this way is cheaper than a designated sub amp.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If I get an m800/8 and hook up 6 speaker with 7&8 bridged for a 10” sub will the amp be over working all the time? I’m just trying to get tunes I can hear while driving and this way is cheaper than a designated sub amp.
I have this exact amp configuration in my ‘14. Performs well. My 10” sub is in a band pass box however. These types of subs are efficient on power needs.

shar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is the exact path I’m headed down, with my boat. I’ll let you know how it goes!

feziwig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have that setup with 6 JL MX650s and an M10 ib3 bridged on channel 7-8. Works great and sounds mint.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have this exact amp configuration in my ‘14. Performs well. My 10” sub is in a band pass box however. These types of subs are efficient on power needs.
I’m going to mount it down low by the drivers seat where i think the factory mounts them So I won’t have a box.

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Probably depends on the specs of sub you use and the settings for that channel on the amp. I'm also running the JL M800/8 v2 in this configuration. I have 6 JL M6 6.5 speakers and a JL 10 in a Powerwedge style box. Im pushing the sub channels hard with a higher sensitivity setting and at low ohms. Been running great so far. Had her out last weekend in the sun all day at 80 degrees and it ran fine even pushing the volume up. Amp was only barely warm. We shall see how it holds up in 100 degree weather soon.

Attachments

feziwig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The sub is mounted in the front of the front of the starboard rear seat directly behind the drivers seat. Removed the grab handle that was there and cut a big hole.
Where did you mount your sub? Is it in a box?

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Probably depends on the specs of sub you use and the settings for that channel on the amp. I'm also running the JL M800/8 v2 in this configuration. I have 6 JL M6 6.5 speakers and a JL 10 in a Powerwedge style box. Im pushing the sub channels hard with a higher sensitivity setting and at low ohms. Been running great so far. Had her out last weekend in the sun all day at 80 degrees and it ran fine even pushing the volume up. Amp was only barely warm. We shall see how it holds up in 100 degree weather soon.
I’m going to use the Jl 10ib5. After re reading @Mainah post and a few others I’m going to mount the sub on the starboard compartment.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The sub is mounted in the front of the front of the starboard rear seat directly behind the drivers seat. Removed the grab handle that was there and cut a big hole.
I’m thinking of going that way too. I would think that firing it towards the helm would be like a home theater sub firing into a corner which increases the sound.

feziwig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m thinking of going that way too. I would think that firing it towards the helm would be like a home theater sub firing into a corner which increases the sound.
It would have fit the same on either side, but my wife is not a fan of loud music. Since it’s all open I don’t think it would have made much difference, but def didn’t hurt.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have my jl amps pushed most of the time and they are just warm to the touch just shy of hot. My old amp could grill hotdogs.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It would have fit the same on either side, but my wife is not a fan of loud music. Since it’s all open I don’t think it would have made much difference, but def didn’t hurt.
I was out on the boat last night and checked the situation out. The front of mine is curved so the side is the only option.