• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JL vs WetSounds?

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Hope you guys don’t mind, as I have a few questions regarding stock stereo upgrade in our new Scarab 215 ID. The stereo industry has changed a fair amount since I worked in it and was paying attention to it 20yrs ago.

And after reading some threads, I don’t know which to go with!!!

We live in Mid Michigan so it is UnSalted for us!!!

This is my tentative plan:

WS MC-1 head unit. I like that it has a 4 zone control (control bow, cockpit, tower, and subs separately), and the display will fit at the helm. I have looked at others, but most seem either too small to cover the slave kicker controller hole, or too big for the spot to the right of the steering wheel.

2- 6ch amps. Either WS HTX or JL M series.

Bow/cockpit 6.5”: again either the JL M or WS Revo.

Sub(s): JL 10”, possibly two. Looking at the M series.

Tower: WS 8” as of right now.

Price wise the amps are close, and the JL 6.5” are about $100/pair more. Not a make or break the bank situation...

So, all input is greatly appreciated!!!

TY!!!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Which ever way you go you will have quality equipment. It is a win win.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I now have had both JL and WS. Honestly, IMO, WS Revo speakers are best. I added 2 Revo6 speakers to the mid-cabin and was blown away. So much so, I just ordered (yesterday) Revo8 to replace the WS SW808s in my tower. Like @jcyamaharider stated, either one means excellant quality and you can't go wrong.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
JL vs WS amps: WS = more power for the money. JL=Insane enviormental reliability.

JL vs WS speakers: depends on the model but both are great. JL draws less power, a bit better highs, and built to the best environmental standard. WS has insane power handling but requires a bit more power. If going with ib subs I think JL is the winner.

As @jcyamaharider said both are great. To save some coin some here including myself have tried rockville amps with mixed results. The crossovers in the RXM T2 from them are crap proven by two that I have and another that someone did a youtube video on. 500hz coming through half power when set to 120hz low pass as an example. Complete shame as otherwise lots of power for cheap and good designed chassis to remove heat (rxm t2 model). Cheap amps won’t be as good sonically either so I don’t recommend those for high power full ranges.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Both r great brands and r quality made, u can’t go wrong with either. It’s all about personal preference, price point, and cosmetics. Kind of like the Chevy or Ford thing. I know for a fact by going with either of these brands ur system will sound and look great. Good luck...🤙🏽

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
TY everyone!!!

Regarding the JL vs WS amps: per the specs on “paper” the WS has a little more power, but is it truly more or just the way they rate/test them?

When we listened to the 6.5”, we liked the WS Revo a lot more vs the JL MX, but did like the M just slightly better than the WS.... Though not sure we would notice that little difference out on the water. Plan to listen to them again before the final decision, so maybe the Revos will save us ~$100 vs the Ms.

Sub is JL no question!!!

Years ago when I had systems in my vehicles, it was PPI, MBQuart, JL sub, with a Pioneer or Eclipse head unit, so I don’t have any hesitation spending a little more.

No to get a hold of our boat dealer to see if we can p/u the boat and get the stereo installed before our actual delivery date... Papers are already signed, so hoping we can get the stereo in, then drop it back off to be prepped for delivery.

TY again!!!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
No to get a hold of our boat dealer to see if we can p/u the boat and get the stereo installed before our actual delivery date... Papers are already signed, so hoping we can get the stereo in, then drop it back off to be prepped for delivery.
I agree, get as much done prior to taking delivery (even if it means waiting an extra day).