• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Junk in Drain Plug - 2022 AR210

bradmartin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After my first outing I loosened the drain plug, was a little tight but didn't pay much attention to it. Just assumed how it was. So then it got a little worse the next few outings. I had to use a pair of pliers the last few times to loosen and tighten it. I thought it may have just been cross threading or something.

This morning I finally decided to look inside and sure enough there's a chunk of something (maybe fiberglass).

IMG_0673.jpeg

Can't imagine how that would happen unless it was at the factory and a chunk accidentally fell in somewhere and it made it's way to the end of the drain system.

Any tips on removing and then securing the housing (looks like some marine sealant or something around the edges of the housing)?

Thanks in advance.

There’s always stuff in these from assembly. I’ve pulled many pieces of metal from drills and stuff out of mine. That’s a pretty good sized piece of fiberglass, just try to get it out the hole.
If you can’t you might be able to get to it through the access port by the cleanouts with some long pliers.
If you have to remove the plug it’s just clear silicone.

Agree with the above poster on the debris. In regard to that drain plug, Yamaha should be embarrassed to stick something like that on their boats. Those threads are unacceptable; no doubt the reason you are having trouble unscrewing the plug. Those threads are already galled. If it was me, I'd stick a light coat of marine grease or Lanocote on those things before they continue to worsen.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to work it out and then get some marine grease on the threads. It's pretty rough and only had the boat 3 weeks. First time I loosened the plug it was pretty decent but definitely not "easy" like I assumed it would be. Just assumed it was a bit cross threaded or just tight from assembly but once I realized it wasn't normal and I was having to use pliers to loosen and tighten it I finally seen that chunk in there.

I'll see what I can work through next week and keep yall posted. Thanks again for the info.

I've pulled a ton of crud outta my bilge that the factory w̶o̶r̶k̶e̶r̶s̶ meth-addicts dropped into the boat during assembly (including a whole screwdriver). A year into owning the boat, I'm still finding screws, metal shards, fiberglass chunks, etc. making their way to the drain hole.

It looks like you have a circle of fiberglass stuck behind your drain plug -- possibly the fiberglass circle that was cut out by the hole saw that was used to make the drain hole. It looks like you'll have to pull out that fiberglass piece (and whatever else is in your bilge) through the hatch between the jet cleanouts.

I recommend this set of tools:

Also, you should consider using marine grease or o-ring grease (or heck, even dialectic grease will do) on the threads and o-ring of your drain plug.

I usually grease my drain plug every 4 or 5 times I screw it back in. I keep a small squeeze bottle of grease on a shelf inside the boat. And I always clear out whatever gunk is on the threads before I insert and turn the plug. Same for the plug at the front of the engine compartment.

I've pulled a ton of crud outta my bilge that the factory w̶o̶r̶k̶e̶r̶s̶ meth-addicts dropped into the boat during assembly (including a whole screwdriver). A year into owning the boat, I'm still finding screws, metal shards, fiberglass chunks, etc. making their way to the drain hole.

It looks like you have a circle of fiberglass stuck behind your drain plug -- possibly the fiberglass circle that was cut out by the hole saw that was used to make the drain hole. It looks like you'll have to pull out that fiberglass piece (and whatever else is in your bilge) through the hatch between the jet cleanouts.

Also, you should consider using marine grease or o-ring grease (or heck, even dialectic grease will do) on the threads and o-ring of your drain plug.

I usually grease my drain plug every 4 or 5 times I screw it back in. I keep a small squeeze bottle of grease on a shelf inside the boat. And I always clear out whatever gunk is on the threads before I insert and turn the plug. Same for the plug at the front of the engine compartment.
That's wild ? still finding screws and stuff. That's def what happened here though. I'll prob buy those tools and get it out next week. Thanks for your advice. Still learning all about the boat and maintenance. Would have never known to put anything on the plug threads.

Would have never known to put anything on the plug threads.

Keep in mind that grease on the threads will mean more stuff gets caught on the threads. So go light on the grease. Also, whenever you put the drain plug back in, make sure there's nothing stuck to the grease on the threads that will cut the o-ring -- metal shavings especially.

When I'm cleaning my boat, I'll sometimes stick my water sprayer into the bilge through the hatch and spray some water through the drain hole if I see debris down there.

I use a sprayer with a rotating head and straight handle:

...that not only fits through the hatch easily, but also fits into the jet cleanouts and other tight spaces in the boat (the gutters behind the closets, etc.).

On the end of my hose, I have one of these valves with a quick-release, so I can switch between the sprayer and a short length of hose with the engine-rinse adapter:

In addition to the valve allowing me to switch between the sprayer and the engine-rinse hose easily, without turning off water at the spigot, the valve also lets me shut off the water to the engine, right before I blip twice to 4K to force the remaining water out of the exhaust. The section of engine-rinse hose I use is just long enough that I can operate the valve without jumping out of the cockpit.

Importantly, this valve/quick-release is plastic, so it won't damage the boat if it drags across or impacts the boat.

The sprayer is also mostly plastic & rubber -- or at least the parts of it that touch anything.

Last edited:

I was looking to pull that piece out today. When you said "through the hatch between the jet cleanouts" I looked in there, it was a little dark so maybe I missed it, but not sure where that connects to the drain hole to grab that piece. I also tried breaking it up from outside the drain plug with needle nose but no luck there. Ended up putting some marine grease on the threads for now and cleaned out some small debris but still unsure the approach here to pull that piece out.

I found a similar chunk of fiberglass, a fender washer, assorted screws, metal shavings, & fiberglass shavings.
I'm hoping I find something valuable.

Back