• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just Pulled Engine Anodes

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I'm the second owner on our '16 212x, and just pulled the engine anodes, for what feels like the first time they have ever been out. First, what a bitch to get to and articulate my big ass back there... Second, man were they rough. They looked like an old car battery terminal with a lot of buildup. I wire brushed them down and used 400 sandpaper to make them good and shiny again. Yes, I know they are cheap, but with a day off (finally) and no parts on hand, I at least wanted them cleaned up. Fresh and clean with fresh silicone on the seal, I reinstalled them.
This has me thinking, if they were that corroded, what do my water jackets look like? Is it safe to pump in some CLR, Coca-Cola (works for battery acid) or something that will breakdown that galvanic corrosion? Do they make anything to clear the water jackets?
One engine at idle trickles water, while the other pushes it out the pisser stronger. At Higher RPMs, they both flown good. Both water pumps are new-ish, and the impellers look good. Just wondering if I have a blockage in the cooling passages, now after seeing the anodes, I'm concerned a little more.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check the Water intake screen it's back on the pump Nosel vary close to the anodes. Just remove cover plate and check the plastic screen inside for debris.

Yes a clean out is something to do............I am prepping for a closed loop clean out using Rydlyme descaler and follow up with CLR.....I'm going to let these cleaners pump through the motor for a few hours. It's a little bit of work to pump(12v) a solution threw out the motor with motor off...........several hoses need to be clamped off keeping solution looping inside the motor and not spilling out the pissers, thermostat hose, and the pump pick up hose.............BUT THE ALL IMPORTANT HOSE the one the feeds and cools the exhaust system will need to be routed back into the 5 gal homer bucket to supply the pump attached to the flushing port. One does not want to fill exhaust system with water with no engine running.......bad things would happen>>>>LOL.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Is there a procedure for this? Or did you figure it out yourself? This sounds like exactly what I need to do,

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No procedure on the 1.8 engine I've found, but the service manual has all water paths marked out and all directions the water takes to cool the engine. It will require clamping off the 2 pisser lines and the thermostat line(this is the largest water exit) then clamping off the water intake line coming from the jet pump this clamping is done before the Y junction at the flush line meets the intake line. The last line comes off the Voltage regulator cooler and it is the only water supply line for the exhaust system to keep the tubes cool and cool the exhaust expansion chamber back under the clean out ports.

This line has to be routed into the homer bucket as the chemical cleaner return line......... a small bilge pump in the bucket will supply chemical to engine via flush port. This also will allow for the pump to be shut off and let the cleaner remain in motor to soak as long as you like.

I'm going to be busy for about a month helping my Navy son and my daughter to move, but after that my 2013 SX240 will be getting some long overdue love............... Jet pump pull to service bearings ect.... and an engine flush.

denizcan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hello,
it's a good idea to check the water jackets for blockages. Use a marine engine flush product to break down corrosion safely. Avoid household cleaners like CLR or Coca-Cola. Monitor water flow and consider a professional inspection if needed.
Thank you

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
The reason I worry, I do not have the water pressure to engage the pissers when running off the hose in the driveway. So I fear that I'm not getting a good flush out after a day out.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the anode was doing it's job,
what did the thermostat look like ?

I might pull the exhaust, that might be the easiest to get a look at what's going on,
I think I would get a infrared thermometer to get some readings before I went through the work of pulling stuff apart,
at least get some real time numbers using the YDS

This is a great tutorial about a closed loop flush,

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I didn't pull the thermostat, where is that located? I'm the second owner, I've had it a few years now. I'm trying to get up on the maintenance so I can stay up on it. This is my first boat that didn't have an outboard motor, so I'm still learning what to look for on these. I figured they didn't have thermostats, as the water starts to flow as soon as you start it up.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sometimes the water pressure is not enough to have flow the pissers off a hose.........check them at the ramp just before launch they should be streaming well at idle.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
If i install shutoff valves for the intake will i then be able to piss when hooked to the hose?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes but it has to be on the hose from jet pump before the y fitting

you loose a lot of flush water out the inlet without a shutoff valve

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is a good video from one of our members
It’s a different engine but same principles

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Thanks guys, this is all good stuff. I'll pull and check the Tstats, and install the shutoff valves while I'm in there.