• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Knee Board recommendations

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hello,
I'm looking for starter/novice kneeboard recommendations. I would like something that would work for young teenagers as well as adults. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I can't recommend a board, but having been paid as a tow boat driver in my youth, I can convey that no other individual towed sports results in more injuries than kneeboards. Lots of lower back and neck problems from simple low speed falls resulted in visits to the doctor and required ongoing care. The outfit I worked for stopped offering kneeboard rides. I offer to my friends to pick waterskiing, wakeboarding, wake surfing, but kneeboarding just leads to injuries...

...my 2 cents... take it or leave it.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The best knee board for a beginner will be one that has a hook on front that allows the rope handle to hook to the board, makes it way easier to get up. There are a bunch out there. I agree with knee board injuries, my daughter got hurt pretty good a few years ago knee boarding. She was going through some waves and the tip dug in and went straight down which stretched her straight up and down and slammed her on her face. She got a hip injury and a slight concussion. I leave the knee boards home.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with the others,
best kneeboard is the molded/fiberglass thin kind, Rush or "joker" models,

If they are small and having a difficult time the molded plastic with the handle hook do work good,

I only use the kneeboard for the smallest/timid kids to get them being used to being pulled by the boat, it gives them a good confidence boost because I can go 10-12mph and they're having fun, or I can just drag them around on their stomach

The bigger they are the harder it is for someone to get into kneeling position and I usually always have the knee strap extra loose,

most have a better time either wakeboarding or now surfing or just going on the tube,

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The best knee board for a beginner will be one that has a hook on front that allows the rope handle to hook to the board, makes it way easier to get up. There are a bunch out there. I agree with knee board injuries, my daughter got hurt pretty good a few years ago knee boarding. She was going through some waves and the tip dug in and went straight down which stretched her straight up and down and slammed her on her face. She got a hip injury and a slight concussion. I leave the knee boards home.
Sorry to hear that. I hope she recovered.

One thing we used to do for small / timid kids is what we called an aquaplane. Basically, a piece of marine grade plywood, with plywood strakes underneath (glued, not screwed). The tow rope is tied from the boat, to the front of the aquaplane. There is then a rope with a wooden handle that the rider can use to help balance once standing up. The top is covered with astroturf. It's a great stepping stone to waterskiing, especially for kids that don't skate or downhill ski. An adult can even go with them the first time. You only need to go about 12-14 mph.

Nowadays, they make an inflatable version:

Untitled drawing.jpg

Last edited:

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Basically, this .... but a different shape...
waterskis-sure-shot-platform-trainer2_1000.png

Teaches them to be alone behind the boat, starting off on their belly, getting use to the spray, standing up, waves, etc... all on a a very stable platform. They existed before waterskiing ...

20120714155153.jpg 20120714162400.jpg 20120714162258.jpg 20120714162211.jpg

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks for all the input. I was looking at knee boards because they seem like a reasonable lead into wakeboarding. Sounds like it might be best to stay away. Last thing I need are hurt kids, wife (or me).

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for all the input. I was looking at knee boards because they seem like a reasonable lead into wakeboarding. Sounds like it might be best to stay away. Last thing I need are hurt kids, wife (or me).
The Zup is great for all ages and skill levels. When my son was 5 and 6, that was his preferred ride even over the tube. Wife likes to stand up and “ski” on it as it’s easier on her knees. I’ll ride it a couple times a year. Not discounting that it can be dangerous, but so are all water sports. :)

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We've been kneeboarding for years. Nary an injury, which I can't say for tubes especially the Hot Dog tube. Then again, the kids were nuts. If you get one, make sure it has a tow handle on it to ease in getting up. 100 bucks on amazon give it a try.

You will learn to buy these toys in the winter when on clearance. I guess that's why I have about 7 or 8 tubes hanging in my garage, and a couple kneeboards and skis.

But try one out. My kids when young could easily get u and had fun on them. More close calls with the tubes!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a great price on a new O'Brien Black Magic kneeboard available it's a great handling board. It has on the fly retractable fins, very stable and maneuverable. It has a built in hook for attaching the handle. I brought one in for a good friend if mine who was shopping for his teens. The code "Magic Savings" will apply the Jetboaters discount. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Screenshot_20200430-230410_Chrome.jpg

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
it’s true BigAbe, all watersports carry a decent risk of injury, just line snow sports, mountain biking, etc. J-Rad, thanks for posting the link to the O’Brien board and the discount code.
Great insight from everyone.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
There are some great deals on new older model boards too. It’s kind of funny, the more you look into it, the more you see how bogus the “list price” numbers are.
I’ve found a few in the $100-125 range that look good.
I’m going to go for it and take it easy with the speed. Hard to go slow in my boat...the 500 horses really want to run :winkingthumbsup"

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length