• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

L13 installed on 2020 sx195

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
L13 installed on 2020 sx195.

Looking forward to eliminating cavitation.

And did you know this rubber part is only thing that pushes the articulating keel? It looks like a wearable part...😬20210726_111306.jpg20210726_114918.jpg20210726_115714.jpg20210726_114555.jpg

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
so... i had a chance to go out today and try this out and I am less than impressed. could it be just me? cavitation is still there(of course not as bad) but its not giving me the hole shot as I anticipated.

all 3 spacers in... same # of people, similar temp(maybe tad warmer)

used to be 7500rpm went to 7100rpm

can anyone else with a L13 cone on a SVHO chime in?

Wake_Dude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My sentiments are the same as yours "less than impressed". I tried all three spacers too since "everybody was doing it", and was extremely unimpressed. No noticeable changes in cavitation, etc. I fawked around with all those stupid spacers and ended up just running the red one. Seems to be the best of all the combos I tried. My pump/engine/etc is the same as yours. The change happened in 2019. I believe the Lucky 13 benefits boats prior to 2019; I just don't see a noticeable difference in my boat; except a ~400 rpm drop. It does slightly holeshot better, but that's it.

I do want to try boring the housing though (0.1969=5mm). I am a machinist (just have been too lazy to pull it and do it), and see if it makes any difference. Some say boring doesn't make a difference; however, these are folks with the old pump design. IMO, it was a waste of money. YMMV.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
What about running with zero spacer?

Wake_Dude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
What about running with zero spacer?
When I tested zero spacer, the performance was very similar to stock. Increasing spacer count produced a better holeshot (slightly less cavitation) to a "point"; with a sacrifice of top speed (approx. 3-5 mph). I found the point of diminishing returns when going beyond the equivalent of the red spacer thickness. Any other combo going with greater thickness I saw NO gains in holeshot, BUT, did see a drop in top speed. Cavitation (slip) remained the same from just the red spacer or additional spacers. I know, it seems confusing (plus I've had a few beers); I hope I'm clear with my experiences. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Again, these are just my experiences.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have been all through the testing and tuning with the l13 cone on my fzs. Its a 90 mph ski. I have done every combination imaginable including machining multiple different nozzles. As for the cavitation in our boats, what you are trying to do is make up for the poor design of the yamaha impellers. The l13 is a bandaid for that. If you have cavitation issues then what you really need to do is change impellers. Now i already had a tuned solas concord so cavitation was not the issue. In the end i was looking to tune the pump to gain some speed. After a year of testing and tuning the l13 came off and got sold. I got the best performance with the stock cone by over 2mph. With my findings, the l13 is a waste of money. Best thing to do is put a solas concord in. They are variable pitch and hold an incredible amount of power without cavitating. My ski is somewhere around 450hp with svho and i have zero cav no matter how fast i hammer the throttle.

Wake_Dude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My ski is somewhere around 450hp with svho and i have zero cav no matter how fast i hammer the throttle.
Man, I would love to have a reliable 450 hp. I need more "get up and go" power when coming out of turns; especially when loaded down and tubing the kids, etc. What sort of mods did you do to the engine to achieve this number? Any reliability issues? Motor still start easily? Fuel consumption go through the roof? The extra power and being able to "hook up" with the Solas would be the ticket.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
mods were 1000cc injectors, titanium valve retainers, sc wheel and shaft, ribbon delete, fizzle intercooler, cold air intake, tune. the svho doesnt take much to uncork it. i would however never do this on my boat. the fuel mileage would just drop like a rock. i only get about 45min ride time on 18 gal of gas with the ski. if your trying to get the boat to hook up better then there is nothing better you can do than change the impeller. nothing will increase your top end speed though other than engine mods. the best bang for your buck and where you will see the biggest performance increase for speed is just with the tune. you can leave the whole motor stock and the tune will just uncork the motor. no reliability issues with my ski and the ski starts just like a stock engine.

HFD928

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
mods were 1000cc injectors, titanium valve retainers, sc wheel and shaft, ribbon delete, fizzle intercooler, cold air intake, tune. the svho doesnt take much to uncork it. i would however never do this on my boat. the fuel mileage would just drop like a rock. i only get about 45min ride time on 18 gal of gas with the ski. if your trying to get the boat to hook up better then there is nothing better you can do than change the impeller. nothing will increase your top end speed though other than engine mods. the best bang for your buck and where you will see the biggest performance increase for speed is just with the tune. you can leave the whole motor stock and the tune will just uncork the motor. no reliability issues with my ski and the ski starts just like a stock engine.
So just buy a maptuner from Riva? Would they have a specific map for the boat or just use one for a ski?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
A maptuner from riva. They have alot of different tunes but what tune you run depends in what mods you have done to the engine. You never want to just run a random tune. It has to be right or you can very easily blow the motor. You always want to install an afr gauge while tuning. Once its done you can remove it. A quick call to riva and they will give you the right info

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Just my 2 cents for you. I have a 2019 AR195 SVHO. I have the map tuner using stage 1. I also have the L13 and no ribbon. I own a Solas that I did install on the boat. Believe it or not, the factory impeller seem to work the best. The Solas doesn't work as good for boats as Wave runners. I was not very impressed with the L13 either but still have it on with all 3 washers. The best thing that worked for me is resealing the whole pump, intake, shoe area. I think Yamaha did a poor job on sealing this. By the way, the tune does help with hole shot but didn't help my top end at all.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
with the solas, take the l13 off and put the stock cone back on. the solas wont give you any top end. you will get way less cavitation getting up on plane. when you switch back to the stock cone you will prob pick up a little top end.

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
You know, in all honestly, I don't think I took off the L13 when I had on the Solas. Good to know @mrcleanr6. Maybe later this year, when I do my maintenance service to the boat, I will try that setup.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
you will lose top end with a l13 in exchange for less cavitation. the solas will cure the cavitation so if you left the l13 in there then its really not doing much except robbing you of a mile or two per hr.