• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lanyard kill switch

Michael Blais

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
So I have a 2008 Yamaha 232 limited, question is: Does the Lanyard turn off the fuel injectors?

Don't know for sure, but I would assume so. Puling the lanyard allows it to crank, but not start (as opposed to the cleanout hatch switches, which won't allow a crank). I can't imagine they would only kill the spark to do that and yet pump fuel into the cylinders. You would have problems starting it then when you did put the lanyard back (with all that fuel in the cylinders). So, I assume the lanyard does turn off the injectors.

Thank you I have one engine that runs and one that is get no gas and we have checked everything. So no ground pulse to the injectors so I am thinking there must be a cut off somewhere. Lanyard or neutral safety switch.

I would think it kills spark because if it just killed the injectors it would still sputter to a stop not just instantly kill the engines. I might be wrong but if you want to stop a gas engine instantly spark is the only way. So it probably kills the ground to the efi and spark

Check for spark. My understanding of the system is that it kills spark. It might also kill fuel, wouldn’t surprise me.

I agree it kills spark. The question was whether it kills the fuel injectors as well. That is what I presume it does that as well.

@Michael Blais , have you checked the connectors? There have been reported cases of odd things happening that were traced to corrosion in a connector... I am pretty sure that the lanyard is hooked to the ECM, not directly into the line with the spark plugs, etc. So when it is pulled, it triggers the ECM which then shuts things down. Pretty sure you can see it in the YDS, in fact (others have reported this--I don't recall seeing it personally...).

Back