• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Last two outings

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
On the southern shore of lake ontario things are a mess, we are 2-4' above normal for a prolonged period of time and I can say the lake environment wasn't built for 4' rises in sea levels.

Anyway, there is a lot of debris in the water, so I suspect that is what I am experiencing, i just want to make sure that I have my terms correct.

The first outing (first ever for the boat) the boat is really awesome, like others have said the throttles are silky smooth. The engines are a little loud but MUCH better than my 2015 sx 192. Anyway, after a while I noticed that when I increased throttle, I get a lot of vibration and the boat was slower than normal. I suspect I sucked up a twig or whatever or all of the floating debris.

I tried to go in reverse and forwards a few times, didn't really change anything. Then I just turned around and drove the boat back to the dock (hour drive)

during the drive, something happened and the throttle went back ti being silky smooth. I suspect the boat spit out whatever what digested?

Second outing, same thing only this time I opened the plugs and felt around. I found a plastic bottle top and small twig just floating in the hole. I didn't feel anything around the impeller, as best as I can feel around on the water.

the entire drive back, I had the same throttle conditions. The boat moves BUT more vibration and not as fast.

I may pull the pumps this week just to look in there and make sure something isn't lodged that I couldn't feel.

Is this just how it is when there is a lot of debris around?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you're seeing debris all in the water then it's more than likely going to suck something in there and even something as small as a bottle cap can cause the vibration. Try a different lake next time that isn't so washed out if possible.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You can't really boat with a jet boat in water that is filled with debris. There are ways to clear it thank God! But if you can't get past the debris area, clear it, and go on your way, your in for a long day. Finding debris floating in the intake is an indicator of what was causing your cavitation. Yes, you will find it floating at times, and other times, it is jammed between the pump housing wall and the impeller, grounding you so to speak. Pulling a pump is a quick fix, but not without work. I wouldn't pull it unless I was 100% sure I had cavitation and suspected debris of some sort. I would first look into the intake on the trailer and into the nozzle end as well with a bright flashlight and see if I could see anything. But a 1/4" piece of driftwood wedged in the impeller and unseen from front or back can cause this. So pulling the pump may be your choice. Wait for the water to clear up, it will be a much more enjoyable outing. If you don't, consider moving slowly through the debris. If all the debris is floating, the bow will push past it and clear the way, don't go above idle on the throttles until clear of the debris...and you could certainly check the clean outs before you blast off to make sure.

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah I've only launched in the finger lakes so far this spring. I'm too worried about all the debris in the big lake

Where did you launch your boat? Does South Point have their launch open? Irondequoit public launch is still closed, right?

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the southern shore of lake ontario things are a mess, we are 2-4' above normal for a prolonged period of time and I can say the lake environment wasn't built for 4' rises in sea levels.

Anyway, there is a lot of debris in the water, so I suspect that is what I am experiencing, i just want to make sure that I have my terms correct.

The first outing (first ever for the boat) the boat is really awesome, like others have said the throttles are silky smooth. The engines are a little loud but MUCH better than my 2015 sx 192. Anyway, after a while I noticed that when I increased throttle, I get a lot of vibration and the boat was slower than normal. I suspect I sucked up a twig or whatever or all of the floating debris.

I tried to go in reverse and forwards a few times, didn't really change anything. Then I just turned around and drove the boat back to the dock (hour drive)

during the drive, something happened and the throttle went back ti being silky smooth. I suspect the boat spit out whatever what digested?

Second outing, same thing only this time I opened the plugs and felt around. I found a plastic bottle top and small twig just floating in the hole. I didn't feel anything around the impeller, as best as I can feel around on the water.

the entire drive back, I had the same throttle conditions. The boat moves BUT more vibration and not as fast.

I may pull the pumps this week just to look in there and make sure something isn't lodged that I couldn't feel.

Is this just how it is when there is a lot of debris around?
A lot of debris is not good for jetboat. I wouldn't pull the pump looking for debris...that is way overkill. I've very rarely NOT been able to clear on the lake...maybe 1 time out of 30 or so. The best way is to get under the boat and look with a flashlight.