• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Late Winterization Freak Out

NewGuy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
OK guys without going into the long list of excuses on why I’m late winterizing, I’m now caught with two nights in front of me below 30 degrees. Are my blocks toast? How big of a crap storm am I in? And no, I can’t get a heat source to the boat.

what’s the temperature dropping to? I wouldn’t worry too much unless it’s dropping well below freezing

30 overnight
Did u blow the water boxes out? If so I wouldn't worry about it. Even if you didn't I wouldn't worry about it, just get to it when you can. Have a beer and calm down...lol

Many boat owners around here do not winterize their blocks, and they reside in areas where temps fall way below freezing, something about self draining blocks. I myself run -100 frost ban through my blocks so I can sleep well, just me.

Did u blow the water boxes out? If so I wouldn't worry about it. Even if you didn't I wouldn't worry about it, just get to it when you can. Have a beer and calm down...lol
Couldn’t ~ crazy series of events. Got the boat today to take down to the dealer and despite batteries being charged, boat had no power. Dropped it off and of course when I “rechecked” the weather, the weatherman dropped the forecast 5 degrees.

You are fine. Our boats don’t have a closed loop cooling system. Any water you have will fall out of the block into the exhaust which is round… giving ample room for expansion.

I have never ran any rv or other in the system in 7 years of ownership and had any issues.

change the oil and the plugs in the spring and you’re golden.

Many boat owners around here do not winterize their blocks, and they reside in areas where temps fall way below freezing, something about self draining blocks. I myself run -100 frost ban through my blocks so I can sleep well, just me.
I’m not sleeping well tonight. I’ll take Crob83’s advice and begin drinking.

You are fine. Our boats don’t have a closed loop cooling system. Any water you have will fall out of the block into the exhaust which is round… giving ample room for expansion.

I have never ran any rv or other in the system in 7 years of ownership and had any issues.

change the oil and the plugs in the spring and you’re golden.
Thank you! That makes me feel better - or it may be the beer.

Never ran anti freeze in my Yamaha; the engines are self draining. I live in Mass. on the NH border and it gets very cold, and never had any issues. You are fine; relax!

Never ran anti freeze in my Yamaha; the engines are self draining. I live in Mass. on the NH border and it gets very cold, and never had any issues. You are fine; relax!
Thank you bumpy!

OK guys without going into the long list of excuses on why I’m late winterizing, I’m now caught with two nights in front of me below 30 degrees. Are my blocks toast? How big of a crap storm am I in? And no, I can’t get a heat source to the boat.
You can relax...Yamaha engines are self-draining so no water remains inside the blocks or the cooling system. For storage, all I do is fire up the engines and idle them out of the water for 10 seconds each to clear some of the water out of the waterbox mufflers. As mentioned they are rounded so any freezing water in there has plenty of room to expand. I store my boat in the driveway and it gets down to -20f here every winter...no issues.

Thank you!
I'm just north of you in Louisville. This weather is NOTHING to worry about. I went two seasons without even blowing out the water boxes. I literally took the boat out of the water, put it in the garage and forgot about it until spring. You're just fine.

Wish I had some advice but I just winterized - put on the finest harbor freight winter jacket, took the battery out and put in on a tender. There’s a southern California storm coming that might bring gusty breezes and up to a whopping 1/2” coming our way. ?

Back