• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Launching 2018 SX 190

rayg1022

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was curious being a newbie on this before I launch my boat I unplug trailer lights, make sure the battery is on take the 2 back straps off, put the canopy up, make sure all plugs are in and then backup to water them once trailer is in water I'm in the boat and my wife unhooks the winch? Should the winch be unhooked before we backup? Is that a good idea?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was curious being a newbie on this before I launch my boat I unplug trailer lights, make sure the battery is on take the 2 back straps off, put the canopy up, make sure all plugs are in and then backup to water them once trailer is in water I'm in the boat and my wife unhooks the winch? Should the winch be unhooked before we backup? Is that a good idea?
No your doing it correct. We do the exact thing. You would not want the boat falling off going down the ramp.

If your trailer as brakes you have to leave the trailer plugged in. Otherwise the brakes will lock up. That is if the 19 foot trailers has brakes.

Last edited:

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Don't forget parking break on your vehicle when you stop it to launch the boat.

*Also I have my fenders and ropes attached if you are ready to dock right after launch.

Starting boating last year, first 1 or 2 launches are tough after that it gets easier.
-I find it harder docking the boat than launching or retrieving onto the trailer.

rayg1022

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No your doing it correct. We do the exact thing. You would not want the boat falling off going down the ramp.

If your trailer as brakes you have to leave the trailer plugged in. Otherwise the brakes will lock up. That is if the 19 foot trailers has brakes.
Oh ok, thank you! I have seen some people have everything disconnected and the boat falls in the water freely etc. didn't know if it was a good idea or not.

rayg1022

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't forget parking break on your vehicle when you stop it to launch the boat.

*Also I have my fenders and ropes attached if you are ready to dock right after launch.

Starting boating last year, first 1 or 2 launches are tough after that it gets easier.
-I find it harder docking the boat than launching or retrieving onto the trailer.
How many fenders are necessary? I only have 2 right now, do you need a total of 4?

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How many fenders are necessary? I only have 2 right now, do you need a total of 4?
Yes I would recommend 4.

If you are in a slip with a floating dock on both sides you want to protect your boat.
-So 4 has worked for me fine.
-4 pack of fenders and 4 lines on Amazon can be found for $40.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Don't forget to turn on the blower also before. Leave the wench attached until the boat is floating a bit.

I've gotten quite good at it though since I do the entire launch and retrieval completely solo.

I never unhook my lights but my trailer has brakes but I not sure if it matters since they are surge brakes.

rayg1022

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have to use the blower each and everytime?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you have to use the blower each and everytime?
Yes , it exhausts the gas fumes. Let it run for a little bit before you start the engine. My wife turns it on when I back her down the ramp.

rayg1022

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yea try to get in the habit of running the blower for a couple of minutes before anytime you start the engine. Sometimes I forget to be honest though, more of a safety reason.

rayg1022

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In addition to the above, I wait until the boat is in the water to fire up engine(s), which I confirm before I unhook the boat. I also do my plug and clean out plugs before leaving for the lake and double check them in the prep area.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have found the 2 8.5” bumpers are almost always adequate. I know 8.5” seems big but in reality they are about the right size.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I unhook the trailer cable, but flip it so that only the blue line is connected.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've never unhooked lights for a launch/retrieve. Only ever had a problem if the lenses on the trailer are leaking, which has typically manifested itself in a rainy tow beforehand.

Here's what the wife and I do for nearly every launch. She's in the boat, I'm in the truck.

Start by getting ready AWAY from the ramp. Find the far end of the parking lot, or similar place where you can take your time, aren't rushed, and aren't holding anyone up. Here's what happens "pre-launch"
  • Him:
    • Uncover boat and stow under truck bed cover
    • remove straps
    • check/install plugs (19 ft boats have two)
    • Check/Install cleanout plug
    • Deploy Bimini - Stow cover
    • Turn on Battery
    • Assist with loading "stuff" into bow area(coolers, bags, snacks, children, etc)
  • Her:
    • Get one boy in the boat and vest on
    • Turn on blower
    • Turn on Bilge
    • Get "stuff" stowed in appropriate locations
Now we have one boy in the boat, and one boy in the truck. I drive us down to the launch ramp and back the boat in. Still haven't touched the safety chain, or the winch at this point. I back her and the boat into the water and do the following.
  • Him
    • Back into the water until fenders are just under surface
    • Set parking brake
    • Put truck in Neutral to check parking brake is holding, if so, move to park
    • Hop out and LEAVE DOOR OPEN with engine running (leaving door open allows fast access should the truck begin to head towards water, been there done that)
    • Proceed to back of truck to undo winch and safety chain (once engine is verified started and running)
    • Release winch and let boat float off trailer (might have to power off depending on # of people and gear aboard
  • Her
    • While backing have short safety talk with crew. She's the captain, sit down, shut up, and be calm until we're away from docks.
    • General "look around" for situational awareness
    • Once in the water start engines
    • Once winch and chain removed back off trailer and proceed to waiting area
    • begin sunscreen application on the little ones and self while waiting
    • Turn off Blower
Now she's in the water and I'm on land. So I go park the truck and bring the smaller boy down with me. She motors over to the courtesy dock when she sees me arrive, and comes and picks me up.

We've got this down to somewhat of a science, and typically only have to speak a few words along the way. We each know our part, and just "get it done" since this is the the "work" part of boating, not the "fun" part of boating. We've been doing this together for about 12yrs now, and the teamwork in this area shows. We will typically get 2-3 comments a year on how fast we're in/out of the ramp/docks, and how little drama there is. We pride ourselves on not being "that couple" at the ramp that are yelling at each other, or generally disorganized. Took maybe a single season to get "good" at this routine, and it was well worth the practice and honing of the process.

@rayg1022 Good luck with the new boat, and the new hobby!

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I install the cleanouts and plug prior to leaving the garage. Then when at the ramp pull over to the side and load kids/gear on boat, remove the transom straps, turn on the battery and blower. I then back the boat up and with about 5 or so feet left my wife takes over the wheel and I unhook the bow and the wife backs up the remaining few feet and attempts a hard stop so that we glide off.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only unhook the winch and chain in the winter when I don’t want to go in the water. I back down the ramp as far as I can go where I can unhook everything and not get wet. With dry bunks it doesn’t go anywhere.