• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

lawn mower carburetor help

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
mower carburetor jpg.jpg

My mower has sat for a few years and I went to start it up and found fuel leaking out. At first I figured it was just a loose hose from the fuel tank since I drained it and ran it dry before I put it away.

The hoses looked ok but I found fuel quickly leaking out of the large circular opening. Almost a steady stream. I watched a few quick youtubes about it but figured I'd ask the experts,

It seems like the needle or whatever is supposed to stop or limit the fuel from the bowl into the carburetor isn't working correctly. Any quick fixes or tips that might help, easier just to buy a new carburetor and slap it on there?

Thanks,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I may have found my problem at the 5:30 mark of this youtube, now it's just a matter of if I should try to pull it,

thcole

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pull the fuel bowl off (the large nut on the bottom)and spray the hell out of everything with carb cleaner. Also move the float during the spraying.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good luck! Me and those tiny ass needles and springs and little parts never saw eye to eye! I get ticked off just thinking about it!

thcole

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The ethanol gas is awful for small engines

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just buy a new carb. By the time you fool around with cleaning and it will never be enough.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scottintexas. Your carburetor float is most likely either stuck or has a hole in it causing it to sink allowing the fuel from the tank to continually flow into the carburator bowl.

A carburetor rebuilding kit is most likely all you need. The float works just like the float in your toilet tank. If it sinks the water just keeps running. Same thing with your carburetor.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And keep us posted! @ gym is right I am pretty sure. But besides the carburetor, you may have a few other things that sitting didn't agree with. I have a 38 year old toro that looks like new, runs like crap. Parts no longer available, thank goodness I don't need it out here. But I hate to part with it as my grandmother saw what I was cutting the grass with and went down to a toro dealer and had it delivered without my knowledge. Dang, thats a nice thought.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Just buy a new carb. By the time you fool around with cleaning and it will never be enough.
THIS.
I work on a LOT of small machines, and believe me, ordering a new carb is soooo much worth your time.

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Float damaged, Needle/ seat dirty or damaged, or hinge is gummed up

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife got me a subscription to Handyman for Christmas. I laughed when I read this months edition last night. There is an article about fixing small engines.
image.jpeg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thanks for the ideas, I pulled the bowl and sprayed about half a can of carb cleaner in it while working the float. I put the bowl back on and not a drop of fuel came out. Problem solved!!

unfortunately it still running rough and won't run in low rpm's so tomorrow I'm going to try to find a replacement,

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Late to this one but vote is to buy a new carb unless you come back with a price/availability that leads you to rebuilding it. I would replace the fuel line while you are at it. Easy and with as old as they look, they can deteriorate on the inside. Also change the fuel filter if you have not already.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thanks for the ideas, I pulled the bowl and sprayed about half a can of carb cleaner in it while working the float. I put the bowl back on and not a drop of fuel came out. Problem solved!!

unfortunately it still running rough and won't run in low rpm's so tomorrow I'm going to try to find a replacement,
You may want to run some Sea Foam through it @Scottintexas. Works wonders.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This reminds me of working on the carbs in my old 2 stroke pwcs. We used to replace the needles in the stock carbs to improve performance. The actual modification and / or rebuild work was easy, tuning the carb or several of them via the idle, high and low rpm screws was always the hard part which seemed to be based more in art than science for me. If you haven't already, don't dorget to check how far out all the screws are from closed on the original carb so that you can set the new carb the same way as a starting point for tuning purposes.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ran sea foam through it and it didn't really help, the new carb came and it was a simple install, it still won't idle on very low but it runs much smoother now. The fuel line fell easily tore apart when I tried to remove it so I added a inline filter and off valve while replacing it.

Thanks for the help,

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is there any kind of adjustment screw in that new carb? Also, make sure your air filter is clean, might throw off your mix at idle.

I do agree with the new carb when you find one cheap enough. However... In case u are in a jam for time (waiting a few days for part to arrive) or you simply like to tinker, here are a few thoughts.
In the days before fuel injection and fuel maps my bikes were carbureted, and since I had no kids and nothing really "useful" to do with my spare time I used to tinker. At least once per year I did a complete carb tear down to meticulously clean every nook and cranny. even tiny little things will make a difference, and the smaller the parts the worst it gets. Then (in multiple carb engines, not really your case) you need to tune them and balance them. On one bike I had to replace all needles and jets to compensate for the new full exhaust system, custom air box, intake, hotter ignition harness and coil. Since there are really multiple combinations there was plenty of trial and error to find the smoothest setting, You might have a great pull on low end, but weak on top, or a rough idle.
You case seems to be mostly gunk accumulated overall. You need to absolutely clean everything including the float. The added weigh of any type of gunk will throw it off.
Replacing everything is much simpler, and if you go that route definitely order a whole carb vs rebuild kits. Remember that when rebuilding you are "mating" new parts to worn out "carb bodies", it will never be as good as a full replacement or as easy. But for the "tinkerers" that will always be the last resort, :) .

good luck