• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

LED Strip Lighting Mounting Options

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have all my sections cut for my LED strips. One of the places (of many) I plan on putting one of the strips is above the speakers. I am installing the strips in many locations with a similar scenario. My question is this: How did you all mount the strips? I know they have a 3m double-sided backing attached to the strip. Is that strong enough or am I going to be re-doing it in a few weeks or months? I'd rather just do it "right" the first time instead of re-doing in the future. Are you attaching to the vinyl seat directly above so the lighting fires down? If so, during my mock run, it seemed to be tucked far enough to the side so that you won't see the strip or the wires (well, maybe someone who is 2-3 feet tall might see it, but I don't have to worry about that). If I mounted it to the fiberglass, it would fire to the side, but shoving it far enough behind the seat cushions to hide the strip would likely block a lot of the light. Leaving it down below the cushion would be ugly as you would definitely see the strip. So if you all are attaching directly to the vinyl on the bottom of the seat cushions, are you adding glue? Is there anything that's strong, but removable (for any future repairs, upgrades, or complete removal), and won't damage the vinyl? Or do you just simply use what came with the strips and hope for the best? I heard something about 3m adhesion promoter or primer or something, but I haven't started researching that yet. I wanted to see what you experts were doing. Thanks!

Here is a picture of my install. I just used the adhesive that came with the strips and attached them to the fiberglass, tucked up just under the seat. These lights are really bright so I think that tucking them won't hurt the lighting effect. Also, I've only had one of them come loose and it was the one that I had to re-position. I do keep a roll of double sided tape on board in case another comes loose. Mine have been in place for a one season.

led1-jpeg.36068

I installed the strips a few days ago. I attached the strips as far back on the seat cushions as I could. On a few I was even able to stick it to the fiberglass. I went out to the garage last night to complete the project and wire everything up. Many of the strips had fallen off. I even used the 3m adhesion promoter. Bummer. So last night I ordered some "very high bond" foam mounting tape. Hopefully this stuff combined with the adhesion promoter will work.

@vzimmer113 I stuck mine directly to the fiberglass and all I did was wipe the surface down with an alcohol wipe. I'm picking my boat up from winter storage on Thursday - we'll see how well they held over winter. Sorry to hear that yours came off!

Scuba_ref said:
I stuck mine directly to the fiberglass and all I did was wipe the surface down with an alcohol wipe. I'm picking my boat up from winter storage on Thursday - we'll see how well they held over winter.
I did the same as you and that was about 4 years ago. They are still in place. :winkingthumbsup"

So did you guys tuck them up under the cushions? Or can you see the strips?

They are tucked up under the cushion but attached to the hull. If you were to lay on the floor and look up you would be able to see the strips, but not when sitting or standing. I can get you pics this weekend after I pick up the boat if you want.

Edit: Not the greatest pic, but there is a strip under the grey back rest at the nose of the bow seating in this picture.

SD3.jpeg

So did you use anything to pry the cushion off the hull so they would somewhat go behind and be tucked away and completely hidden? Or you just mounted against the cushion as far as you could? My cushions are really tight against the hull, so I feel like you'd be able to see the lights when you were sitting down. I don't think I could get them up far enough to be hidden. The strips are obviously wider than they are thick, so when you mount them facing down, that minimal thickness will make them not visible.

No prying needed. I think the route you are going will always have issues with adhesion, the cushion will be pressed and depressed as people sit back against them. I'm afraid that constant movement will cause the adhesion to fail.

Hm. I think you're on to something. But on each strip end there's a big honkin' connector with heat shrink around it. I'm gonna have to find a way to at least get that tucked away. I'm sure I can pry the cushion a little. And I'm also doing lights around the top perimeter of the speakers. Suggestions on making an arch curve like that? Not sure if the ribbon gets damaged when it's bunched up like that.

I think it will be fine in a curve. I put cup holder rings in my boat and one of the rings malfunctioned so I replaced the LEDs in the ring with some from my strip. They adhered to the inside arc of the acrylic ring just fine and that is a smaller radius then your speaker.

I had to chuckle when I saw your picture @Scuba_ref. I have the same SeaDek and speakers in my boat. Great minds think alike. :winkingthumbsup"

I had to chuckle when I saw your picture @Scuba_ref. I have the same SeaDek and speakers in my boat. Great minds think alike. :winkingthumbsup"
@scot71 Nice! But, do you have the same dis-engaged teenager wondering what the thrill of driveway boating is?

Edit: in fairness to her, she helps me with everything on the boat - she thinks the boat belongs to her!

@scot71 Nice! But, do you have the same dis-engaged teenager wondering what the thrill of driveway boating is?

Edit: in fairness to her, she helps me with everything on the boat - she thinks the boat belongs to her!
Not the teenager (mines 23 now), but my wife certainly can't understand it.

I bought some 3m double sided mounting tape. The tape, combined with the 3m adhesion promoter seems to work very well. Only time will tell, but the adhesion is much better than before. I also stuck it to the fiberglass. I can see the lights in some spots when I am down low (sitting) but I'm also looking for it and scrutinizing. I'm sure normal passengers won't notice. I've already had a few issues with some of the strips with flaky connections so I am re-doing a few strips. Taking the lights off once they are mounted was interesting. Like I said, that tape is the real deal!

Hm. I think you're on to something. But on each strip end there's a big honkin' connector with heat shrink around it. I'm gonna have to find a way to at least get that tucked away. I'm sure I can pry the cushion a little. And I'm also doing lights around the top perimeter of the speakers. Suggestions on making an arch curve like that? Not sure if the ribbon gets damaged when it's bunched up like that.

Just undo the nuts on the back of the cushions a little bit, not all the way off and you can have enough access to tuck them away.
Also, theres some predrilled holes behind most cushions I was able to run wire through without having to drill. Ones that didnt have holes, i shared the elongated slot that the cushion bolts used... (Not that that was part of your question, just helping in case others need ideas..)

As for the speaker curve, i used the 3m tape at the ends, stuck flat to hull, twist a little so lights face down, then twist flat again at the other end to stick. middle not stuck to anything, but should be enough tension and tape on the ends to hold them in place. I will try and get pics in the next week or so when i get the boat again from storage.

Sneak peek. It's not finished yet! Had to redo a few. Guess they lost their connection with the tugging and twisting. I hope this isn't a foreshadow of what lies in store in the future (I don't want them to fail halfway through the season). IMG_5468.JPG

Back