• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Let's talk batteries...

TexasTea

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pulled the boat out of storage to get it ready for the season and the battery is kaput. It's the original battery from the new purchase of the boat (Feb 2011) but has always been in trickle charge when the boat is put up (on and off season). Did a deep cycle charge and the battery is still not creating the amps to start the boat, even though voltage shows good...so I'm scrapping it and going new. I'm thinking of a gel battery but I've never used or heard any feedback on them in our rigs. Running standard radio/speaker set up with the Infinity tower speaker/amp combo offered by Yamaha. Trying to take the kiddos fishing this weekend but I won't go on a so-so battery.

Anyone have any thoughts?

First, GOOGLE "AGM" batteries. Learn the benefits of these type of batteries, particularly in boats.

Then start searching for the size battery you want. Remember 1 thing ........ ALL batteries in the U.S. to be used in "conventional" Autos, boats, non-commerical trucks, etc are made by 1 of 2 companies - regardless of whether it s a Gel Cell, lead acid, or AGM. The rest is window dressing to get you to buy a particular brand.
You can also search this forum about batteries and get an idea of what I am trying to help you with.
AutoZone is known for having relatively good prices and a decent warranty period.
Just remember, EVERY battery is made my either Johnson Controls (NYSE) or East Penn.
Good Luck, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

PS - Remember if you DO decide to purchase an AGM battery that not all battery charger types/brands can or will handle/accommodate an AGM battery.

Pulled the boat out of storage to get it ready for the season and the battery is kaput. It's the original battery from the new purchase of the boat (Feb 2011) but has always been in trickle charge when the boat is put up (on and off season). Did a deep cycle charge and the battery is still not creating the amps to start the boat, even though voltage shows good...so I'm scrapping it and going new. I'm thinking of a gel battery but I've never used or heard any feedback on them in our rigs. Running standard radio/speaker set up with the Infinity tower speaker/amp combo offered by Yamaha. Trying to take the kiddos fishing this weekend but I won't go on a so-so battery.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Yes.....I have a thought!

Wait, here it comes again.....I know, since you really don't have anything on board that screams "Feed Me" from a power standpoint, I'd recommend Costco.

battery.JPG

I use these with much success in both the boat and RV. I pull the boat battery at the end of the season and it has a place with all the other batteries, big and small, in my garage. Last one I bought was 10/12 and it has a full charge, I just checked last night.

I test them with:

load tester.jpg
I bought this load tester on Amazon for around 50 bucks.

I would definitely use a checker as glassman has shown or take the battery to an auto parts store if it is charged and showing 12 or 13+ volts. if the battery shows to be good i would check for loose connection and a loose ground before i bought a new battery
my 2 cents
good luck

Back