• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • JetBoaters.Net 2nd Annual SeaDoo Switch Group Buy Sponsored By JetBoatPilot Is Live Now. Save 25% Off Select SeaDoo Switch Gear through October 31st.

Click Here to go to the Jetboatpilot Seadoo Group buy

You can delete this notice with the "X" in the upper right>>>

Lets talk MONEY !!

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So lets say some has 5k, 10, or 2ok in extra cash just sitting in the bank. What would be some of the BEST ways to invest it and make some good cash returns ???

And fyi this is coming from someone who was gonna put 5k into Sirius Satellite when it was .04 a share. Now it is $3.46 per share !!!!!!! WTF so $5000/.04 equals 125,000 shares. Now if I manned up it would be worth $432,500 right now !! (Kick in balls now)

And a guy (me) who was drunk as shit in South Beach Miami at a bar called Mangos. Started talking to a guy from Wall Street (So he says) who told me AIG was about to crash and the shares will be going down to under a dollar. And that I should wait till this happens and invest in as many shares as I could when it went under a dollar bc it would be getting bailed out by the feds and the share price skyrocketing back up. Well I didn't do that either (Again kick in balls)

Buy physical gold and diversify into some FOREX. Unless you want to invest into a FED inflated stock market at record highs fueled by easy money and low interest rates. And short US bonds...

BTW whats your risk appetite and investment term length?

Last edited:
Buy physical gold and diversify into some FOREX. Unless you want to invest into a FED inflated stock market at record highs fueled by easy money and low interest rates. And short US bonds...

BTW whats your risk appetite and investment term length?

I've been "fighting the fed" for quite a while with TBT. It sucks until it doesn't!

I've been doing this a long time and your best bet, IMO, is to forget these get-rich-quick stocks and stick to solid blue chips and then hold on to them long term. The problem with these overnight successes is that you if you hit one you then think you are a genius and can do no wrong--but when you try to repeat it again, because you are so smart, reality sets in and you start to realize you weren't so smart, just lucky. The quickest way to go broke is to rely on other peoples' insider tips--they almost never pan out.

I don't like gold because there is nothing there. You don't make any return, it has no intrinsic value, and the price depends on nothing concrete--just how much it is selling for. On top of that, nobody really knows what influences the price of gold.

Anyway, the only people I have seen consistently win over the years are the conservative players who realize that it's not always possible for the markets to go up but that there will also be down times. They weather these ups and downs and don't try to make killings on any one particular play. It's not exciting, in fact it is very boring, but it does work in the long run. It doesn't hurt to play around on adventures with small amounts of your portfolio but I wouldn't invest a large portion in anything other than quality stocks.

Good luck...

@steined The FED argument is obviously complex. The manipulation that is occurring was good for us in the short term but very destructive in the long term. Unfortunately, I dont see any about faces coming until it's too late. But the blame will be shifted onto whoever is in charge at that moment and the populace will overlook the root cause of the problem.

I trace this back around Nixon (and even farther), but he de-coupled gold from the FRN. Then Clinton furthered the Community re-investment act and Barney Frank and Pelosi defended it until they didnt.

This is a recent video regarding TBTF.

This is Barney Frank through his teeth:

Here is another:

RobA is right, tolerance for risk and timeline are critical. I also generally concur on the bloated market propped up by easy money, fear of inflation, etc...but it's really hard to sit on the sidelines when everyone else is making money.

In that situation, I think the broad market indexes will turn sour or stall very soon, but you could still win with some solid individual stock picks...

For short term pops, you need a good idea of why a stock or other investment will pop quickly. Industry knowledge, inside info, etc.

Or you could rely on analysis...tech charts, valuations, etc.

I have done well with Biotech (FBT exchange traded fund), Apple (who hasn't?...rode it up for several years and kept buying in), Yahoo (until lately....bought it at the bottom) and Bank of America (again, until lately, bought it at the bottom). I think most of these have run their course and are running into headwinds lately.

Now looking for some other ideas myself...small cap, value, acquisition targets my favorite area to look right now. Thinking about some of the "picks and shovels" of the cloud, IoT and mobility world...chip makers, etc...Data center stocks i.e. Datalink...

I've been doing this a long time and your best bet, IMO, is to forget these get-rich-quick stocks and stick to solid blue chips and then hold on to them long term. The problem with these overnight successes is that you if you hit one you then think you are a genius and can do no wrong--but when you try to repeat it again, because you are so smart, reality sets in and you start to realize you weren't so smart, just lucky. The quickest way to go broke is to rely on other peoples' insider tips--they almost never pan out.

I don't like gold because there is nothing there. You don't make any return, it has no intrinsic value, and the price depends on nothing concrete--just how much it is selling for. On top of that, nobody really knows what influences the price of gold.

Anyway, the only people I have seen consistently win over the years are the conservative players who realize that it's not always possible for the markets to go up but that there will also be down times. They weather these ups and downs and don't try to make killings on any one particular play. It's not exciting, in fact it is very boring, but it does work in the long run. It doesn't hurt to play around on adventures with small amounts of your portfolio but I wouldn't invest a large portion in anything other than quality stocks.

Good luck...

This....
Even after I said what I said about stock picks....that is my "play money" short term game...even still, no penny stocks, etc.
Long-term...diversified set of funds and a portfolio that matches my timeline. Some index funds suck, so spread it around with appropriate percentages in emerging markets, small caps, some specialty sectors...

Good luck...

The price of gold was fixed until 1971. So any comparison of gold prices over the long term vs. the stock market is irrelevant. Notice that gold converges with the market indices (which are manipulated by removing poor performers) and that gold is diverging from the indexes. Either gold has to come up or the indices have to come down...

Prior to 1971 gold was money and was used to purchase goods and services. It was not traded as a commodity.

Personally I would rather own a rare metal that cant be printed to oblivion by a corrupt central bank. Gold's intrinsic value is that it is rare, cannot be counterfeited easily, and is used in the production of goods.

GLD1.png

Last edited:
I thought it was crazy this drunk guy at the bar told me about the aig GOING to crash and it did...then about the gov't going to bail them out and they did.....this was about 4 months before they crashed....clearly he had some inside info lol

Good luck...

Think 3M guys and gals!!

I thought it was crazy this drunk guy at the bar told me about the aig GOING to crash and it did...then about the gov't going to bail them out and they did.....this was about 4 months before they crashed....clearly he had some inside info lol
If you are going to follow stock tips then getting them from a drunk on the beach is probably as good as getting them from most of the gurus. :woot:

what do you guys think of the boglehead forums?
I've read some of the stuff on there and I think for long term investing it is solid. Stuff like the four fund portfolio. I haven't gone to that but am considering doing it with a portion of my retirement savings.

what do you guys think of the boglehead forums?
I've read some of the stuff on there and I think for long term investing it is solid. Stuff like the four fund portfolio. I haven't gone to that but am considering doing it with a portion of my retirement savings.

Thanks for that site!

I've generally been pretty conservative with my investments. Almost 20 years ago we were in one of the many sky rocketing gas price periods and I decided to try the 'If you can't beat them, join them'. and I bought into an energy fund. It has done well for me over the years and since I can't foresee a time when energy will have declining demand and over supply, I'll ride it out some more.

Supercharger
Bigger boat
Sea deck

I invest my own stocks for my ira. I made over 60 percent last year. I leave half in solid big companies with good dividends. The other half i just pick 6 stocks and play the up and down.

lead: Mixed with gunpowder and brass: currency of the future.......

Supercharger
Bigger boat
Sea deck

I invest my own stocks for my ira. I made over 60 percent last year. I leave half in solid big companies with good dividends. The other half i just pick 6 stocks and play the up and down.
Sounds like it's time to quit your day job and do this for a living :)

Back