• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Liquid in Air Filter

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Winterizing and giving everything a once over since my warranty expires in March. Noticed a corner of the air filter had a blue stain. Set it off to the side to change the oil, plugs and fog it. When I went to get the filter it was leaking a blue liquid. I have no idea what it is. Any suggestions? Since it’s still under warranty should I take it to the dealer?

Attachments

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s in both filters. Nothing I have used is blue. I did let the dealer winterize it last year because they were allegedly fixing a different issue I was having. They didn’t fix it, but that’s another story.

Attachments

Jim Crane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it blue because the filter plastic edge is blue and bleeding? Like it was bleached and the color ran?

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
it is blue fogging oil... i do my own winterizing, and it happened to me

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ll be darned. I even sprayed fogging oil into a paper towel to check, but I was using stabil. That means it came from the dealer winterizing it last year. What did you do about the problem? Do I have to get new air filters? Is this something you think might be covered under warranty?

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
i did replace one of them... it was saturated pretty good... i would not be to concernced about yours

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it was covered by warranty would you have tried to get a new one? The starboard was dripping out. The port was stained but mostly dry comparatively speaking.

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
i would at least ask if the dealer did the service.

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i would at least ask if the dealer did the service.
I was going to call tomorrow. Had to take it there for an issue with a high idle. They said it was a perfect pass problem, and didn’t fix it under warranty. While it was there I said “screw it” and told them to winterize it too. Got it back and they had left the battery switches on with them still hooked up. Of course the house battery was shot and I had to get a new one before this season. Fast forward to Memorial Day weekend, and my first time starting it back up and the idle problem was still there. I figured out all they had to have done was just turn the PP knob, which would correct the idle for all of 7 seconds. It was actually the throttle cable itself that needed adjustment, which I did and fixed the problem. So this should be a pretty fun phone call.
Thanks again for letting me know what this was. I really appreciate it.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't get too aggravated on their account. Now you know they are not as competent as you are. and they should not be trusted with the boat going forward. It's not awesome, but it is what it is. Now you know.

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't get too aggravated on their account. Now you know they are not as competent as you are. and they should not be trusted with the boat going forward. It's not awesome, but it is what it is. Now you know.
I have to give it up for the dealer. I called and explained the situation this morning. They called back this afternoon and wanted to check the boat. I brought it out and told them the whole story from last year until now. There only issue was that they wished I brought the battery and idle issue to their attention sooner. They agreed to order 2 new filters and install them for me. While they are at it they saw my cracked fenders on the trailer and are going to see about getting them fixed because there was a recall on that issue and they thought my trailer was the right age. @CAM212SS thanks again for sharing what the liquid was from your experience. This forum is awesome.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Man, that is awesome. I am always extremely happy to be wrong in my doomsday predictions when dealing with what appears to be carelessness. That is the best outcome you could hope for in the situation.