• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Long Distance Shooting

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wanted to start a thread to discuss long distance shooting. As well as the rifles, scopes, calibers, and modifications that we perform to our babies... er, I meant rifles.

My long distance rifle is a Gen II Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. My optic is a Vortex Razor HD gen I with an EBR-2B MOA reticle. I choose this optic primarily due to its 35mm tube providing 125 MOA of elevation/ windage adjustment.

20190103_115600.jpg

Reloading is something that I have not gotten into so currently I'm shooting Hornady Match 120gr ammo. Even with factory ammo this beast still gave me one hell of a grouping when I zeroed the optic in at 100 yards.

20190103_130403_resized.jpg

What rifle/optic combinations are you utilizing? Any particular ammo that you've found to work better than others?

trace

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm really excited about this post @Bennie. Congrats on the RPR, those are awesome bolt guns.

I just started building a long range AR in 6.5 Grendel.

Vortex Diamondback Tactical in 6-24x50 EBR-2C MOA
Luth-AR MBA-3 adjustable stock
Elftmann Tactical Match adjustable trigger
SA adjustable gas block
18" Heavy profile, fluted barrel, 416R stainless
SJC Titan muzzle brake
Free floated handguard with a bipod.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like a nice build @trace !

I'm digging the Vortex scope decision. I love their products. They're currently on three of my firearms with a need to go on two more.

Send pics brother!

trace

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Will do on the pics, gotta build it first. Yes, the Vortex products are very well done for the price. While collecting all the parts for this build I threw the scope on my 17HMR bolt gun and ran it for a bit, just to get used to the scope controls and reticle, very happy with that purchase. The lower is done, even used it to run somebody elses upper to try out the trigger and stock (love it!!). Had problems getting the right upper assembly from a vendor, but think I've got that licked now. Once I get the upper, I'm taking it completely apart and doing all the little tricks to squeeze as much precision out of it as possible. And then, ahem .....paint....

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Factory Armalite AR-10 tactical with Nikon M-308 scope with BDL out to 800 yds. I’ve hit 1’x1’ steel target plate out to 800 yds pretty consistently. 0E7F8E59-37B7-49A8-94D7-44EEA9F58F22.jpeg

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I found that the gram bullet used in the 308 round makes a huge difference. This gun and scope only works with a 168 grain bullet.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@BigN8
Where do you shoot long range around North Dallas?

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I found that the gram bullet used in the 308 round makes a huge difference. This gun and scope only works with a 168 grain bullet.
That's great information @BigN8
I've been looking for and testing for the same information with my RPR and my 6.5 creedmoor ammo. So far the 120gr has beaten out the 129gr and 147gr. Still want to fully test out the Hornady Match 140gr.

Edit: I will say that the 120gr shoots amazingly flat and is very easy on the shoulder!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Factory Armalite AR-10 tactical with Nikon M-308 scope with BDL out to 800 yds. I’ve hit 1’x1’ steel target plate out to 800 yds pretty consistently. View attachment 86815
What would be a more "civilian" ("hunting-themed") version of this rifle?

--

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski are you wanting a semi-automatic rifle? If so buy the same (kind of) firearm and utilize a 10 count magazine for hunting.

That is the setup (in 556) I utilize when walking/ stalking for deer or hogs. But I also utilize a different optic, made more for close to mid range shots.

If you'd like to stay with the 308 caliber, my son utilizes a Ruger American; which is a bolt action, more "traditional" hunting gun.
That may work well with your girls as Hornady makes a "Custom Lite" round that has a reduced recoil.

Hope this helps.
(Go Blues!!)(Moooooose)

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What would be a more "civilian" ("hunting-themed") version of this rifle?

--
So to answer 2 questions at once. I actually use either this gun or my Remington 7mm to hunt hogs from a range of 200-300 yds. I do a hog hunt with customers several times a year near Centerville, TX. We usually do a morning and and evening hunt. The down time between hunts is spent in the pistol range and the land owner also has a rifle range with berms and targets from 100 yds to 800 yds. Last time I went I walked that AR-10 using the BDL on the scope from 200 yds to 800 yds and hit the steel plate first shot. Very little cross wind.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
20122472_4_600_736.jpg20122472_1_600_450.jpg

trace

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well here she is.0228192359~2.jpg

After some fiddling around with a bad factory crown that made it shoot like a grendel shotgun. I DIY re-crowned it and shot this group at 50 yards in heavy gusting crosswinds 10-30 mph.0224191608a.jpg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wondered what some folks were up to this hunting season and found this thread....

Wanted to start a thread to discuss long distance shooting. As well as the rifles, scopes, calibers, and modifications that we perform to our babies... er, I meant rifles.

My long distance rifle is a Gen II Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. My optic is a Vortex Razor HD gen I with an EBR-2B MOA reticle. I choose this optic primarily due to its 35mm tube providing 125 MOA of elevation/ windage adjustment.

View attachment 86804

Reloading is something that I have not gotten into so currently I'm shooting Hornady Match 120gr ammo. Even with factory ammo this beast still gave me one hell of a grouping when I zeroed the optic in at 100 yards.

View attachment 86805

What rifle/optic combinations are you utilizing? Any particular ammo that you've found to work better than others?
I was a big 308 guy for quite a while shooting out to 600 yards at my local range at the time. I may get back into it next year and 6.5 C or 300 WM in a RPR with Vortex glass is certainly the way I would go. 300 WM because it could double as elk gun if I were willing to lug a long heavy barrel in the mountains.

Factory Armalite AR-10 tactical with Nikon M-308 scope with BDL out to 800 yds. I’ve hit 1’x1’ steel target plate out to 800 yds pretty consistently. View attachment 86815
I had a DPMS 308 AR-10 with that same glass and it was a nail driver. That Nikon m-308 is a really great scope for the money when paired with match grade 168 gr BTHP. I found a 165 gr SPBT by Hornady Custom that matched up really well ballistically for hunting purposes but I think they stopped making it in favor of the newer polymer tipped stuff that has become so popular.

View attachment 86839

This was from 800 yds.
Very nice! Looks to be only about 3 inches low and right at 800 yards using the BDC on a 16x scope! Easily sub MOA at 800 yds with mid grade 16x glass and mid length profile barrel is excellent IMO. That bullet still had a good amount of energy from the looks of it too.

Well here she is.View attachment 88754

After some fiddling around with a bad factory crown that made it shoot like a grendel shotgun. I DIY re-crowned it and shot this group at 50 yards in heavy gusting crosswinds 10-30 mph.View attachment 88755
Wish I had known Bear Creek uppers can be that good with a bit of effort. I am considering one of their side charging uppers for another build and may just have to get a barrel from them as well and save some money. I just built my first 6.5 G for coyote/hog/deer. I have gotten two bullets in the same hole at 100 yds benched sandbag/sandsock, no wind, and Hornady 123gr SST. Really impressed with the energy data out to 400 yds with this cartridge and still fairly soft shooting off hand for a big game ethical cartridge. My build info is ... PSA upper and lower, Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x glass with added quick throw lever, 4.5 lb 2 stage NB trigger, Aramspec pins, SI King Comp, SI QD extended end plate, SI trigger guard, SI dust cover, MP STR stock, MP pistol grip, MP BAD lever, and of course the butterfly charging handle. I tried my hand at a DIY semi distressed burnt bronze VHT paint job. I think it came out good and blends into my environment ok for a single color job.

IMG_0879.jpgIMG_0881.jpgIMG_0882.jpg

Boat is pulled for the season so I can make sure I get some range and hunting time prior to my son's main sport being in full swing. Hoping Santa brings me an Atlas bipod or a Sig P365 but I would not be upset with an RPR either :winkingthumbsup"

dscable

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Sig P365 is an amazing every day carry. It's accurate, and the double stack mag gives you plenty of rounds in an easy to daily carry package! I have had mine for about 6 months and carry it almost every day.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ll second the P365, it’s a wonderful gun for concealed carry. I didn’t like the grip until I got the 12 round mag, and that little bit of extension made all the difference. Although to be honest, I’d probably go with the XL model if I were buying today. The grip is slightly longer, 15 round mag, and longer sight radius. The extra barrel length is no problem, as I carry IWB. I’m just waiting for Crimson Trace to come out with a light/laser combo for it. Last I checked, they had a light OR a laser, but not the combo.

As for the premise of this thread, I’m still in the process of building an AR-10 chambered in 6.5 CM. I’ve got an Odin Works barrel and BCG, Timney Calvin Elite trigger, and the rest is relatively generic parts. I have it mocked up, but not assembled. Need to “bed” the barrel and receiver before torquing it down. No optic yet, but am planning to get the Vortex PST Gen2 5-25. Long range is relatively new to me, I’m more of a 3Gun guy, but I wanted to dabble in this to gain a broader skill set.