• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Looking For Help to Check out a Used Yamaha in MD

DrKnowNothing

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was able to find a used 2018 Yamaha 242X E-series with only 25 hours on it down in Maryland.

Current owner has been great to work with, sent over maintenance records and given me a good amount of information on the boat.

We have settled on tentative terms, but want to get the boat checked out and take it for a test drive.

I am new to Yamahas and don't trust my own ability to spot an issue. The seller had reached out to see if the local Yamaha dealership would be willing to help out with a demo (that is where he gets the boat serviced) and they are currently slammed.

Looking for either some suggestions on a marine surveyor in the area or other suggestions on how to best close the deal. Everything seems like it is on the up and up, but definitely want some experienced eyes/hands on the boat to make sure there are no big surprises.

I just had Brian Reynolds from Welcome to Sea-Fit Marine Surveying Brian Reynolds, AMS® survey my boat before I purchased it. I could not believe how thorough he was. His report was very in depth and he identified a few times that needed addressed, but overall found no structural issues. He checked the engines during the sea trial, but I did pay Yamaha to run compression tests and hook up to verify hours. Brian was straight forward, very knowledgeable, reliable, and a pleasure to work with. Good luck on your purchase.

Find out where the original purchaser snagged the boat. Where it may have been serviced. Bayside jet drive in Ocean City, MD is a fantastic dealer. They may be willing to check the boat out for you to give you some assurances without a marine survey.

@OCMD is a fantastic person to connect with too on these boats.

where in Maryland?

Berlin. Seller bought the boat at Bayside. Have the service records from there too.

Berlin. Seller bought the boat at Bayside. Have the service records from there too.
If Eric (and bayside) has done the service I would buy that boat sight unseen. I did exactly that 7 years ago, but I purchased it from Bayside.

Save your money on a marine survey and give Bayside a call direct and ask them about the boat. Eric will give you the straight scoop.

Alternatively, get some pics and post them here and let the power of the forum to look for any issues with the gelcoat, interior, etc.

If Eric (and bayside) has done the service I would buy that boat sight unseen. I did exactly that 7 years ago, but I purchased it from Bayside.

Save your money on a marine survey and give Bayside a call direct and ask them about the boat. Eric will give you the straight scoop.

Alternatively, get some pics and post them here and let the power of the forum to look for any issues with the gelcoat, interior, etc.

I plan on giving Eric a call. The bank is recommending a marine surveyor. I am going to follow-up with a few in the area. Hard to purchase something this expensive without some more experienced eyes on it.

I plan on giving Eric a call. The bank is recommending a marine surveyor. I am going to follow-up with a few in the area. Hard to purchase something this expensive without some more experienced eyes on it.
If I were closer, I’d check the boat out with you, but I live in Columbus. If it helps, I bought my boat, sight unseen over the phone from Eric. A site member here had seen the boat in person and said it was in good shape. 7 years later... no issues with the boat.

Have you seen the boat personally? Can you share any photos you’ve taken of the boat?

Has the current seller offered to take you out on the water with it? Do you feel comfortable with the seller and the vibe?

I have not seen it personally. It is still wrapped and I live about 5 hours away. We are talking tonight about timing to unwrap the boat. Pictures I have seen are from last season.

Seller has offered to take it out. He had checked with Bayside if they would go out with me to have someone unbiased on board as I am not familiar with the waters there.

Vibe has been good. This is his second Yamaha. He wanted to upgrade to the 242x. Is throwing in the mooring cover and shipping cover(both kept in a climate controlled storage with the cushions) so I have something to drive it up here in. Seems to take pride in his care of the boat and has been very responsive.

Just have not bought something this expensive used without someone checking it out first

I have not seen it personally. It is still wrapped and I live about 5 hours away. We are talking tonight about timing to unwrap the boat. Pictures I have seen are from last season.

Seller has offered to take it out. He had checked with Bayside if they would go out with me to have someone unbiased on board as I am not familiar with the waters there.

Vibe has been good. This is his second Yamaha. He wanted to upgrade to the 242x. Is throwing in the mooring cover and shipping cover(both kept in a climate controlled storage with the cushions) so I have something to drive it up here in. Seems to take pride in his care of the boat and has been very responsive.

Just have not bought something this expensive used without someone checking it out first
I wonder if the seller is a member of this site? If they are, it would be a great way for you to get some historical context about the boat. I get that it’s a big purchase.

The owner isn’t on here. The marine surveyor I had lined up fell through and none are available in the area for a few weeks. The seller had passed along from Eric that he would be happy to do a compression check and a code run of the computer but he thought it was a waste of money( in the nicest way possible). Eric just got done doing spring service on the boat and he told the seller he should be getting top dollar for the boat because of its condition. I am going to call Eric , ask the seller to send pics of the boat (it had been wrapped up to this past week) and see if we can take the boat out for a test drive. Giddy-up

The owner isn’t on here. The marine surveyor I had lined up fell through and none are available in the area for a few weeks. The seller had passed along from Eric that he would be happy to do a compression check and a code run of the computer but he thought it was a waste of money( in the nicest way possible). Eric just got done doing spring service on the boat and he told the seller he should be getting top dollar for the boat because of its condition. I am going to call Eric , ask the seller to send pics of the boat (it had been wrapped up to this past week) and see if we can take the boat out for a test drive. Giddy-up
If Eric vouches for and knows the boat, but with confidence. I bought my 07 sx230 from bayside sight unseen and it has been flawless.

Back