• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for help

michael D Kasparek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Not my first boat but,first jet boat I have a 2018 chaparral 203. Anyone know how to make the steering better at low speed.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not my first boat but,first jet boat I have a 2018 chaparral 203. Anyone know how to make the steering better at low speed.
Wandering more than a single prop boat is common with a jet as it doesn't have anything except forward thrust. Jetski owners don't have the issue as much but only because they spend more time at higher speeds - LOL. I took a 203 out on the weekend and found you can play tease with the the throttle to help minimize the wandering (give a little, then back, then give a little, then back, etc) since under power it tracks fine. Also since the steering is so quick, sometimes people overcompensate by going full lock to lock to try to get it under control, but small movements work better - just a bit to the port/starboard to smooth it out.

There's a user here who makes a "rudder" that apparently helps for low speed maneuvering, you might want to try that if the wandering is too annoying. Search for @JetBoatPilot who makes an addon device called "thrust vectors".

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Just do a search for "fins" and you will enough reading material for the rest of the year to try and figure out what solution you want to go with.

michael D Kasparek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Wandering more than a single prop boat is common with a jet as it doesn't have anything except forward thrust. Jetski owners don't have the issue as much but only because they spend more time at higher speeds - LOL. I took a 203 out on the weekend and found you can play tease with the the throttle to help minimize the wandering (give a little, then back, then give a little, then back, etc) since under power it tracks fine. Also since the steering is so quick, sometimes people overcompensate by going full lock to lock to try to get it under control, but small movements work better - just a bit to the port/starboard to smooth it out.

There's a user here who makes a "rudder" that apparently helps for low speed maneuvering, you might want to try that if the wandering is too annoying. Search for @JetBoatPilot who makes an addon device called "thrust vectors".
Thank you I will try to find him

michael D Kasparek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Just do a search for "fins" and you will enough reading material for the rest of the year to try and figure out what solution you want to go with.
Now that boating season is almost over I will have time to read. thanks

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
With practice I found out that less steering input & bumping the reverse gate down briefly, would help keep the boat straight at low speed