• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking to buy 2017 Scarab 195 HO - What to look for

Furmentor

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I've found a local 2017 Scarab 195 HO with 26 hours on it. Seems like a good deal for $32K.

What types of things should I be looking for as I do a dry inspection and water test.

I've owned a Honda Jet ski for 10 years and had runabout boats in the past so I am familiar with boat and jet drives. Just wondering if there are any specific things to look for on this.

thanks

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
My dad owns a Honda Aquatrax... loves it.

Unless there's a major problem, all of these are potential negotion power or at least things to watch for and plan in the budget.

- Make sure the engine starts? lol
- No check engine light.
- Ideally do that water test of course.
- Test the top speed, check the Product Info Guides here for details: Scarab Jet Boats | Owners
- Carbon ring condition, check for a black mark against the fiberglass where it's located inside the hull. Also, ask the person how they run it out of water. Play dumb... they should be answering something along the lines of "Engine on, water on, run for no more than 2 min, ideally below 60 sec, water off, engine off in that order". If they run the boat out of water for too long, the carbon ring can overheat and wear out causing a major leak.
- Check impeller and wear ring condition through the grate with a flashlight.
- Check on last oil/filter/spark plug change.
- Check on last coolant change. What type of coolant is in it right now, green or orange XPS? (probably green)
- Check hull condition.
- Check interior condition, seat stitching, etc.

Furmentor

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. Pictures of this boat make it look like new and with only 26 hours I'm not expecting much wrong.

My plan is to sell the Honda, but I really don't want to. It is such a fantastic ride with so few issues.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yeah, that is very low hours. But keep in mind certain problems like the carbon seal can happen within minutes. Or sucking up a rope or something.

Hopefully it's a nice boat!